Getting super-glue (or similar adhesive) off the dashboard plastics

I have some super-glue (or similar adhesive) around the air-vent rings and in a few other spots on the dashboard.

I want to clean this off, but was wondering what would work seeing as I don't want to cause any damage/fading/discolouration to the dark plastic.

I have a tiny tube of glue remover which didn't seem to do much, and i hardly had anything left in it anyway.

Has anyone got a brand they'd recommend?

Below you can make out the large patches around the vents and the warning light button. There's also some on the top of the dash which is a bit annoying too. (the white mark just above left vent).

i've tried picking it off, but it doesn't seem to want to budge on it's own. Hot water and some cleaning solvents haven't worked either.

I know that flocking or painting would be a good alternative, but i'd like to keep it cheap :lol:

Any suggestions?

DSC03309.jpg

DSC03741.jpg

Edited by InsolentMinx

I can't tell from the pics but if it's the actual glue, then you wil just have to hope that the area was greasy at the time it was applied and peel/scrape it off. If it's just the residue, which is white and looks kinda like overspray the it will ocme off with water if it's very recent or a good scrub with a cleaning product if not. It's the presence of water when setting that makes it go white.

around the vents i think it's the actual glue, and it's not recent.

the one on the dash looks white though, kinda as if it had paper or tissue touch it just before it cured. :wacko:

picking didn't seem to work, so maybe i'll just try and scrape it off carefully with a stanley knife.

thanks chaps.

When i worked in the garage we bought some stuff from auto smart, was good enough to get chewing gum off of seats and carpet without fadin.

http://www.clbvaleti...mart-tarandglue

This stuff should do the trick

interesting.... and only a fiver too.

i might give that a try before scraping at the plastic :thumbs:

Yeah Steve it is dried superglue and you're right I did dab it with a bit of paper towel! :P

Tbh, I'd probably say you're best bet would be to get a razor blade/scalpel and peel off as much as you can and then finely sand around the rim afterwards. No need to clear up the dust as you can just put the air on full blast... :D

Autosmart tardis will take it off as someone has posted but white spirit is very very similar! Just dab it on with a cloth and it should come off much easier. Plus you can get it much easier. :)

Are you working with cyanoacrylate superglue? .. if so white spirit should be a no no unless you are doing it well ventilated

cyranodebergerac made superglue? :wacko:

god knows. previous owner (Edd) used it when fitting the vent rings, so i imagine it was normal superglue or something similar provided with the rings.

well ventilated? ...i'll have the doors open when i tinker :lol:

I was going to say, looks like it had vent rings fitted in the past. Would a better solution not be to get hold of some of these to fit and therefore cover the glue, or is that not an option?

that is an option, and i'm going to put the rings back on... but i want to tidy up the glue first though, as it was visible around the edges of the vent rings

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.