car heather not working

Meathead

Hi

my car heather has stopped working. It still blows air, and when u switch it to cold it gets colder, but when u switch i to hot it gets to about outside temp and no hotter....

coolant is full... er thats as far as my heather knowledge goes so let the brainstorming begin :)

thanks

Mine was doing this fixed it now it was the small electric box as mine's electronic it opens & shuts the internal door in the heater matrix the 1 that closes in front of the heater core to stop the heat entering the car . i disconected it and opened the door by hand untill i got a replacment box . if yours is a slider cable it could have came disconected or if it's electronic it could be the black electric box on the bottom of the matrix . have you checked the heater pipes to see if you have heat in both pipes the inlet and outlet pipes if 1 is clod it could just well be an airlock in the system and needs bleeding . sorry about any speeling mistakes as you all no its not my strong point lol :blush:

right so i will feel the pipes.. er which ones?

how do i bleed it? thru the coolant bottle?

mine is electronicaly controlled, could it be as simple as a blown fuse?

could well be the fuse, the heater pipes are the 2 pipes that go through the bulkhead into the car heater matrix it's the only 2 rubber hoses that enter through into the car. should be on the pasenger side towards the top of the bulkhead . not sure if you have a bleed screw on 1 of the heater pipes just befor it enters through the bulkhead on the g7 if so you can bleed it through there if not i bleed mine through the rad cap and or exspantion cap

great advice there and i will try it, just im not too savvy with car terms... er bulkhead? rad cap? expansion cap? now i dont wanna go faffing with the wrong bits so please tell me what to look for in simple terms.

now with the pipes you say 1 should be hot or both? and these pipes roughly how thick are they (so i know what im looking for) they about the same size as a hose pipe, or thicker/skinier?

great advice there and i will try it, just im not too savvy with car terms... er bulkhead? rad cap? expansion cap? now i dont wanna go faffing with the wrong bits so please tell me what to look for in simple terms.

now with the pipes you say 1 should be hot or both? and these pipes roughly how thick are they (so i know what im looking for) they about the same size as a hose pipe, or thicker/skinier?

Bulkheads the bit between the engine and you...so the firewall...the bit at the back of the engine bay

the rad cap is the radiator cap...at the front of the engine, it's basically a lid bit you can unscrew

expansion cap...dunno, let someone else fill you in on that!

The pipes are the only ones going into the bulkhead. lemme see if I can get a pic and edit it to make it easier for you :)

here you go, enlarge it by clicking on it...I think the pipe I've indicated (the blue line literally ends on it as it's obscured in the pic) is the one they're talking about?

I think the expansion tank cap thingy might be the one directly to the right of the rad cap, white tube with a black lid on it. I stand to be corrected though as I'm unsure, but kinda makes sense seeing as that's where all the cooling stuff is located!

here you go, enlarge it by clicking on it...I think the pipe I've indicated (the blue line literally ends on it as it's obscured in the pic) is the one they're talking about?

I think the expansion tank cap thingy might be the one directly to the right of the rad cap, white tube with a black lid on it. I stand to be corrected though as I'm unsure, but kinda makes sense seeing as that's where all the cooling stuff is located!

that's rite that's the 1. the heater pipes are the 2 pipes just to the left of where you have them marked

Edited by shaungtr

something to check, as said above find out if it's the door that covers the matrix

when I changed my led's in my climate unit, i noticed when the keys were in the ignition and the dash lights were on (second position on the ignition) if you turn the heater knob from hot to cold you can hear a whirring noise, this will be the door opening and closing, but turn the fan off otherwise you won't hear it

just went out and ried the above, i can hear the little door open and close so thats not the problem.

so it would appear that my heater tries to change between hot and cold but isnt producing hot air, so im guessing the matrix is either blocked or nackered. how do i get to it? (dash off, i hope not as it is a big pain in the ass and a lot of work!)

sorry to say but it will be dash out job to change the matrix . befor you do that if it's not leaking try flushing it through . take the 2 pipes off in the engine bay that go to the heater the 2 you tested for heat . flush the matrix through use a hose pipe. flush it through untill it runs clear . done my matrix about a month ago and what a pain in the butt it was to taking the dash out . not an hard job just a long frustrating job with alot of blue air at times .

im sure it has just gone like it, surely i would have used the heat since april...

anyways, i will try the fluching idea, sounds like it should work. i have one question though, before i do it will i have to drain all the coolant first? i hope not as its more faffing and takes a while to get all the air out when filling it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.