What would you go for

The answer of your average, talentless driver who just wants to impress his mates down the pub with a dynograph :rolleyes:

If you want a fast track car, sort the handling before the power so you can actually use more of the power. This is of course as Ricj rightly says, after you've learnt to drive properly.

If you want a fast drag car then you still need to sort the handling before the power otherwise you're just going to spin rubber and plough into the wall.

CONCLUSION:

Handling is more important. If power was, then the Americans would be world leaders in car technology, not the Germans/Japanese

Lol nice attempt at being a judgemental c**t, did that comment make you feel any better?

Edited by LiamGTR

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol nice attempt at being a judgemental c**t, did that comment make you feel any better?

Liam you're twenty mate, all you care about is making sure other people think you have a big cock, Personally I'd say yours is about 6ft, providing you're not sitting down at the time of course.

And for someone who I'm guessing is older (I'm on my phone so can't see) you are doing exactly same so youve just done it AGAIN, trying to be the big clever guy belittling other people, like I said, nice attempt, I'm really not arsed how big people think my cock is that's not why I'm here and def not here to be talked to and mocked like a piece of shit.

You just keep judging people and mocking prople online to make yourself feel bigger and better, personally I couldn't give a shit and have better things to do than sit online and have a lovers tiff with a big boss man like yourself xx

Edited by LiamGTR

now guys.... if some one is trying to intentionally rub some one up the wrong way i think it has worked... Liam let it go.... or your pandering to Brendans bit of fun.... (im sure thats what it is isnt it Brendan ;) ;) )

Back on topic please

Handling and/or power delivery although more handling

As IMO very few people can get the most out of their stock setup never mind a heavily tuned one.

I once spoke to a race engine builder/tuner and as he said most road engines he built were for pub talk as the owners weren't capable of using even 25% of what the engine could produce.

Handling and/or power delivery although more handling

As IMO very few people can get the most out of their stock setup never mind a heavily tuned one.

I once spoke to a race engine builder/tuner and as he said most road engines he built were for pub talk as the owners weren't capable of using even 25% of what the engine could produce.

agree with this... for you guys who have never been on track you would be surprised how good my gen6 sprinter goes.... puts a smile on my face :) :)

Yeah agree with the last couple of comments, added to the fact that unless you do regularly take a car on track, big power engines can barely be used to the full extent on the road anyway

That is why i ended up just building my engine back up to factory spec with the main emphasis on getting everything to as close to bottom spec tolerance and even tolerances across the board, like my valve shims, 90 % of them were in spec, but ranged from middle to top spec, they are all now within 10% of the bottom spec so they should all now open to their maximum and all equally the same

That coupled with a decent set of lowering springs, new dampers and front and rear strut braces is perfectly happy on the quality UK roads, even over speed bumps at a reasonable speed without too many issues

Yeah agree with the last couple of comments, added to the fact that unless you do regularly take a car on track, big power engines can barely be used to the full extent on the road anyway

That is why i ended up just building my engine back up to factory spec with the main emphasis on getting everything to as close to bottom spec tolerance and even tolerances across the board, like my valve shims, 90 % of them were in spec, but ranged from middle to top spec, they are all now within 10% of the bottom spec so they should all now open to their maximum and all equally the same

That coupled with a decent set of lowering springs, new dampers and front and rear strut braces is perfectly happy on the quality UK roads, even over speed bumps at a reasonable speed without too many issues

be interested in what your rebuilkt engine put out power wise fella

And for someone who I'm guessing is older (I'm on my phone so can't see)

I'm 32

you are doing exactly same so youve just done it AGAIN, trying to be the big clever guy belittling other people, like I said, nice attempt, I'm really not arsed how big people think my cock is that's not why I'm here and def not here to be talked to and mocked like a piece of shit.

If you're not here to be "talked to and mocked like a piece of shit" perhaps you shouldn't call people c***s and take a tongue in cheek jest so personally.

You just keep judging people and mocking prople online to make yourself feel bigger and better, personally I couldn't give a shit and have better things to do than sit online and have a lovers tiff with a big boss man like yourself xx

For the record I'd say it to your face to.

now guys.... if some one is trying to intentionally rub some one up the wrong way i think it has worked... Liam let it go.... or your pandering to Brendans bit of fun.... (im sure thats what it is isnt it Brendan ;) ;) )

Back on topic please

Sorry mate. Ultimately there is no point in having loads of power if you can't use it. What's the point of having 2,3,400bhp if the chassis will only let you put 60% of it down? You may as well only have, 120, 180 or 240bhp respectively for example.

It does depend to extent what you plan to use the car for, I have coilovers on a road car and set up right they are fine, they're stiff but not uncomfortable and the level of grip they give combined with decent tyres of course far out weights the slightly harder ride. To say its pointless on a road car i think is a little blinkered, I get just as much fun from being able to corner, flat, fast and with predictable grip as i do from hitting full boost joining a motorway.

There isnt a clear answer though is there, i use all the power of my st205 regularly, without breaking the speed limit because it has good power and great traction to make the most of it, road holding is average as is its handling but it just isnt a problem, and i much prefer it to my old track ss3, which would corner so fast it would be insane to make use of it on the road a lot of the time because you never know whats round some corners, and on some of our not so good roads it simply didnt work because the suspension was too stiff. Of course i'd prefer the ss3 on a track because it was more stable at high speeds, and on the track the ss3 was quicker than a stock st205 but on the road the st205 is just a little more fun and a lot more usable, Ultimatly i'd like a combo of both but there isnt a one size fits all setup, so much of it is preference and purpose.

Cant help but think that anybody who says power owns the wrong car. Assuming we are Celica drivers that is

There are plenty of cars out there faster that Celicas and I think we all knew that at the point of buying ours.

Ok you can make your Celica go faster but its still going to get done at the lights by the guy in the standard Nissan 200 turbo next to you (unless your spending lots of money)Plus Power just gets you a driving ban or puts you in a hedge

For me a Celica is all about that feeling you get when you put it into a corner quickly and it just sticks :P Which prob explains why I dont mind automatics because that feeling is still there. Oh and pop up lights ;)

I love my front and rear strut brace bars deffo 2 of my better purchases

I understand that this thread isnt 100% about Celicas so Id rather go round a corner fast and safe than wheel spin on the spot because the power wont go down

Handling all the way for me

handling first. i have koni adjustables and lowered 30mm twin pot calipers for a bit extra braking. now for more power!!! as above its more about throwing it into a corner and knowing you are not going into a field. im just about to fit cams,deck spacers,chip and boost valve so more power is good but only if the susspension and brakes can take it.

having a lot of power isnt any more likely to lose you your license than sorted handling, by the time you have a car on stiff coilovers and good tyres you will be able to take corners at license losing speeds with ease, you already can with stock handling a lot of the time anyway, so either you will reach a point you cant fully exploit it and remain within the law or you will make use of its ability and run the risk, and thats no different to using more power, which provided you have decent traction(not handling) you can make good use of with or without breaking the law.

probably also worth noting and its down to how you read it but i would say handling covers the cars ability to change direction not its ability to get power down. (although they do affect each other)

Edited by Zuban

having a lot of power isnt any more likely to lose you your license than sorted handling, by the time you have a car on stiff coilovers and good tyres you will be able to take corners at license losing speeds with ease, you already can with stock handling a lot of the time anyway, so either you will reach a point you cant fully exploit it and remain within the law or you will make use of its ability and run the risk, and thats no different to using more power, which provided you have decent traction(not handling) you can make good use of with or without breaking the law.

probably also worth noting and its down to how you read it but i would say handling covers the cars ability to change direction not its ability to get power down. (although they do affect each other)

Fair point I see where your coming from.

Let me put it slightly different then

Power puts you in a hedge, Handling keeps you out of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me handling first, then power. Hoping to import the whole tanabe brace set soon.

I have a seperate saving pile for my se7en supercharge, but gonna wait till I am 25 for that so the insurance isnt too harsh on me lol.

Edited by RoryK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.