Tar :(

arizona

After the lane i live in plus another i have to travel down to work have both recently been resurfaced while still in use (by those big trucks with a roller following) today is wash day.

Its worse than i thought, sprayed up both sides of wings, every panel on the car is splatted with bloody tar and the mudflaps its all set with gravel intermixed :o:(

Am i right in thinking petrol will remove it? Any tips :please:

White spirit works well on tar and seems perfectly ok on paintwork. I think the stuff halfords sell is just that but costs lots more than the White spirit you can buy in any DIY store.

Edited by bazz54

Thanks, b/f is going to be fitting another rear caliper this atf so i think we need a trip to halfords anyway. I'll get some to keep in car as this isnt over yet i fear, more roads being done around here. Got some petrol to try on it in the meantime.

Despite the amount of loose gravel and 20mph signs people were still haring past at 50/60 ba*tards

Friggin road is still rubbish after the resurfacing too, full of bumps and all collapsing at sides :blowup:

Rant over, thanks for the tip :)

White spirit works well on tar and seems perfectly ok on paintwork. I think the stuff halfords sell is just that but costs lots more than the White spirit you can buy in any DIY store.

Even better , have some white spirit in shed :)

Thanks for that

No don't use T cut; that really is harsh; it is an abrasive. The spirit will have taken off polish/ wax but should easily polish back up.

Wrong I'm afraid m8, t-cut ain't harsh, it's marketed as a colour restorer, it even states on the bottle to use for tar removal, I've used it on paintwork for many years with only excellent results.

Wrong I'm afraid m8, t-cut ain't harsh, it's marketed as a colour restorer, it even states on the bottle to use for tar removal, I've used it on paintwork for many years with only excellent results.

The way it restores colour is by abrading off the top layer (usually oxidised through aging). How else do you think it works m8 ? I've used it too, but not since I saw what it did the first time.

You should ideally decontaminate the paintwork before you polish. You'll get a better finish and it'll stop any scratching or marring which could occur when polishing.

Personally I'd give Autosmart Tardis a try first, you can buy a 500ml bottle on ebay, just put it into a sprayer and your away! It's an excellent product which "melts" tar away.

You should ideally decontaminate the paintwork before you polish. You'll get a better finish and it'll stop any scratching or marring which could occur when polishing.

Personally I'd give Autosmart Tardis a try first, you can buy a 500ml bottle on ebay, just put it into a sprayer and your away! It's an excellent product which "melts" tar away.

The white spirit i used (before then seeing the posts saying not to) got all the tar off. But will there be residue of white spirit on there that needs cleaning off with something other than hot soapy (autoglym) wash?

Sounds like it needs a good polish then. :)

In future don't use white spirit, it's difficult to know how it will react to paintwork. Tardis is a strong chemical so worth testing somewhere out the way first. If all is ok use it sparingly but give your car a good wash afterwards. It'll damage paintwork if it's left on too long. :)

Sounds like it needs a good polish then. :)

In future don't use white spirit, it's difficult to know how it will react to paintwork. Tardis is a strong chemical so worth testing somewhere out the way first. If all is ok use it sparingly but give your car a good wash afterwards. It'll damage paintwork if it's left on too long. :)

Thanks for advice, you'd have cringed if you saw what i did. The bottle of 'white spirit' was an unlabelled bottle of mystery liquid i sniffed to try and identify :o before pouring a load on a cloth and saturating the areas :doh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.