My brake change story...

Ok so after last week where i managed to sheer off the caliper slide pin holders off the calipers, i ordered a replacement off ams. Went to go fit this today but i needed red caliper paint so off into town i went.

Trip 1. - Caliper Paint (Engine Lacquer - Red), Brush

Came back, car jacked up - wheel off, then had numerous problems. Couldnt get the caliper front half off at all. So back into town to get decent tools.

Trip 2. - Nowhere had a short enough breaker bar, so got a adjustable wrench and rubbet mallet from homebase.

Wrench was useless, but the mallet aided the ratchet quite well. Turns out righty tighty doesnt apply on this side of the car - going to the right got the bolt off, that was my first error. So caliper half off, one pin comes out with it - the other remained in the caliper and thus held the pads/shims. Finally i get it out. Then i manage to adjust the disc and get it off. Disc replaced and the rear dust cover painted red along with the caliper and disc hub part. This was after using a wire brush to get the crap off...

At this point i noticed i had something in my eye - proper annoying as well. Tried rubbing it, washing it, rubbing it again - going under a tap and nothing for 30 mins. To make matters worse, i open up the pad box thinking they were rear pads and no they are only front ones!

Trip 3. - Needed pads, and it was 1630. Off to the factors again, pads bought. Then off to the local A&E/Minor Injuries. Turned out it wasnt a pathetic thing to go for, metal in the eye can be serious lol. So in i go, eye examined and then cotton buds under my eyelids. Still there. Orange dye in my eye and then blue light to detect bits/cuts - nothing. Then she got a drip full of saline and my eye was washed out (feels very weird). This went everywhere, but out of what was caught in the card bucket thing there was a few black pieces. Then i got local anesthetic in my eye - F*CKING stings like a bitch. Feels better. Have been given some ointment for my eye and told if its still there in 2 days, go to the Eye casualty down the road. Kinda still feels like its there as well.

Still got the pads and the other side to do! :o

So this is how not to do it. Wear goggles people!

P.S. Im sick of putting wheels back on!

Edited by CelicaBen140

Ha im ok doing it, i just make silly mistakes like no googles or not checking the box before i start lol.

I even had your pictures you gave me on me on phone as i went along trying to find that cog thing with the led on the back of my phone lol.

its ok now, feels weird - still reckon the crap is in there

Not good, that mate, i have ended up with swarf, weld, paint and even some lovely carsonagenic hydraulic oil in my eyes over the years in my job! But yeah, it will feel weird after its washed out ans seem like its there for a bit. as you have scratched and damaged the eye.surrounding tissue. it should pass in a day or two, but pull you eyelids wown in a mirror, or get someone to check in good light tomorrow, just to make sure, look after you eyes mate!!

Although I own adjustable wrenches, they are the wrong thing to use on anything that is seized. No matter how tightly you think you have adjusted them, they always have some give in them and are good for rounding corners off nuts and bolts. When I took off the front calipers on mine, I started off using a good quality ring spanner, which was a good fit, but didn't have enough leverage. So I used two big jubillee clips (sort of thing that goes on a rad hose) to fix a length of scrap metal tube on to the ring spanner to create an extension bar and that did the trick.

I really hate having other people work on my cars, but there are times when you do think that something like gardening would be an easier 'hobby' :(

Got to be canny with your eyes ... Nairn Man actually lost the sight in one of his eyes recently by getting some kind of fluid in it while working on his car.

As for extra leverage on spanners ... get the ring onto the nut, then use the ring of another spanner hooked over the first one's open end to effectively double the length of your first spanner. You can adjust the length of your lever to suit by using different lengths of second spanner. ;)

An old guy in a garage showed me that one years ago, and it's been hugely useful.

As for extra leverage on spanners ... get the ring onto the nut, then use the ring of another spanner hooked over the first one's open end to effectively double the length of your first spanner. You can adjust the length of your lever to suit by using different lengths of second spanner. ;)

An old guy in a garage showed me that one years ago, and it's been hugely useful.

We use that method all the time when working on board!! Standard practice!! :D That or a bigger hammer!! haha.

Got to be canny with your eyes ... Nairn Man actually lost the sight in one of his eyes recently by getting some kind of fluid in it while working on his car.

I use that method all the time while working on my car, my dad showed me it years ago.

Must remember to wear my safety glasses next time im doing anything on my car, i usually forget

Surprising how many folk don't know about it, though. Like me until someone showed me, for example. :)

Dead handy for nuts that are secluded away somewhere a socket won't go but a spanner doesn't have enough leverage to loosen (e.g. top drop link nut on a Rover 75 ;)).

Works all the way round, you are still turning to the right - i.e. clockwise whereever you are.etc.

Right hand thread - so they are all opposite? :S

Eye is getting better, been putting my eye ointment in 4 times a day!

Got the brakes all done today finally as well. The pins are all refurbed and the dust discs painted red along with a fresh coat for the calipers and brake hub. Also got my spark plugs in as well. Service complete! Car feels better and brakes are better as well.

Rich is right, to tighten 12 o'clock right but from 6 o'clock turn left.

All gen7 bolts are right hand thread as in normal. I think you may have got confused as you have looked at the bolt from the rear of the bolt.

Yeah you turn left, but you are going to the right... Weirdly. If you drew an arrow round, it goes to the right? I dunno, guess thats how i look at it. Except im looking at it with one eye, so i have no idea lol

Yeah you turn left, but you are going to the right... Weirdly. If you drew an arrow round, it goes to the right? I dunno, guess thats how i look at it. Except im looking at it with one eye, so i have no idea lol

Yep you pretty much ripped the lefty loosey theory there bud ;)

Had to go to the RVI in newcastle today to eye casualty - had local anesethic again and a NEEDLE stratching over my eyeball as she picked off all the bits of metal and rust! Then a cotton wall bud taken over the eyeball.etc. Ow.

WEAR GOGGLES!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.