Brake discs: grooved, drilled, dimpled?

I need new discs. Firstly, let's be honest, it's a road car not a track car, it will get driven but my idea of fun is accelerating not repeated heavy braking, so I don't actually NEED an upgrade. But grooved/drilled/dimpled do look the part don't they?

What are the pros and cons of either grooved, dimpled or drilled, or any combination of? Really all I'm after is something for day to day use, low maintenance, long lasting, pretty, and reasonably priced. Or am I better off with standard discs?

Grooved/drilled etc look nice, but for road use you will not get any benefit in braking whatsoever.

If anything, for every day use they are more of a pain because:

1. more likely to make clicking noises on braking which can become a major irritation. (personally i didnt get this when I fitted them (black diamonds) but i have heard such stories off other members)

2. pads will wear quicker compared to plain discs.

I would stick to plain and simple discs unless your a track nut or you want it to look "better"

I would advise to hammerite the drums and rims of all new discs you fit to prevent them rusting and looking dreadful, as no matter what brand of disc you fit, you will invariably get this.

Edited by hawker

Grooved/dimpled with EBC yellowstuff pads here. Zinc plated too, stops the bits around the disc face going rusty so things look nice. Stops on a dime as well :)

....but eats pads and yeas, ticks like mad. Makes it sound like a Ford :lol:

Thinking about it, my last set of discs were grooved TRD ones and they didn't tick. Hm.

Grooved/dimpled with EBC yellowstuff pads here. Zinc plated too, stops the bits around the disc face going rusty so things look nice. Stops on a dime as well :)

Thinking about it, my last set of discs were grooved TRD ones and they didn't tick. Hm.

thats what my clicking is then, sounds like a pull tie end not been cut off and its hitting sumthing as wheells are going round

Avoid drilled at all costs. Unless the holes are pre-cast (which is how the expensive dics are formed) then drilled holes lead to hotspots and usually shattered brake discs. Grooved discs look nicer but there's no great improvement over stock OEM plain discs in truth. It's not like there's a night and day difference anyway.

as said really, Amys standard plain disks bite much harder then mine with ebc groved and dimpled disks with red stuff pads in normal conditions, but on track, the red stuff bite hard when given the beans, but thats just it, red stuff NEED heat to work!!!!!

as said really, Amys standard plain disks bite much harder then mine with ebc groved and dimpled disks with red stuff pads in normal conditions, but on track, the red stuff bite hard when given the beans, but thats just it, red stuff NEED heat to work!!!!!

what is the diff between red yellow is it the heat range on the?

red are fast road pads and bite well, but bite really well when really driven hard with lots of breaking. from cold they are no better than standard. yellow will be shit for cold and day to day i think. dont quote me ont hat as i have never tried. but they are really for track hacks. need alot of abuse to get the best from them.

red are fast road pads and bite well, but bite really well when really driven hard with lots of breaking. from cold they are no better than standard. yellow will be shit for cold and day to day i think. dont quote me ont hat as i have never tried. but they are really for track hacks. need alot of abuse to get the best from them.

i got drilled and groved with cheap pads, good cold, but after coming down hill they shit, and after 2000 miles they nearly half way worn

EBC's are crap, they are not supposed to tick, sent mine back under warranty, only got them due to everyone on here raving about them, but will never buy from them again. I wouldn't recommend them to you.

I have heard of drilled discs cracking under heavy use, I have tarox sports japan on the front of my celica, they are drilled and grooved and have had a bit of heavy use and are fine, but I suppose if you had cheaper drilled discs they would crack.

Probably better sticking to plain, but if you want a bit of looks then go for grooved discs

EBC's are crap, they are not supposed to tick, sent mine back under warranty, only got them due to everyone on here raving about them, but will never buy from them again. I wouldn't recommend them to you.

I would have to agree, Amys standard brakes outbrake my EBCs by miles!!

I've got zinc coated grooved discs and green stuff pads all round, i also have HEL stainless hoses! Probably the best mods i've done to the car! The brakes feel brilliant now, i'd say 50% better than the standard parts, sadly they are a bit more noisy than normal discs, and the pads aren't brilliant when cold but a HUGE improvement over the original equipment none the less, the hoses have made everything feel more responsive too, so i'd say if your gonna give the brakes an overhaul do the lot, pads, discs, hoses and use some decent fluid!

ive had ebc groove and drilled discs all round with green stuff pads and ive had no problems what so ever for over 2 years now and i do alot of miles a year,you just have to run them in prop,most people just drive normally as soon as they fitted and end up damagein them in some way or another normally wrappin them.

if i did it again id prob just get groove ones,but the combo deff looks the part and gets people looking at the lights

Surely anything is better than standard gen7 brakes if thats what we're on about.Or do the gen4 method,wear a pair of sturdy boots and jam them through the holes in the floorpan.Instant improvement. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.