Advice from those who have done track days

I have never drove a track day before, I have been to them and photographed them but have never drove my car on one and its something that I now really want to do.

So I'm after some advice on how to go about it, for example:

Does the car need a good service both before and after being tracked ( as its been pushed for longer periods of time )

Do you need to buy track tyres to go on the track?

I'm guessing you will need a seperate track insurance, how much should you expect to pay for it?

And if there is anything else worth knowing.... please post and advise.

Also if you have done more than one track in the past whats your favourite and the reasons for it.

What track are you going to?

Reason i am asking is, The fact that some tracks are super safe- Bedford autdrome, And the chances of hitting a barrier is relatively low. Going into the grass is another question . but even then, you won't hit a barrier. But places like castle comb, That's a proper racing circuit where you can hit stuff.

Track day insurance is a bit of a rip off though, You pay £100+ (from a track day insurance for a day cover), for either limited cover, or a huge cover but high excess £1000+

So it really isn't worth it unless you're driving a super car.

The rule of a track day is that, You don't go all out and push an f1 driver. It isn't exactly a life of death situation where you Have to get the most perfect line with amazing speed to get the best lap times. Infact, You're not even allowed to do take lap time on a track day, In the car or even a someone else timing you.

So. Don't take risks- Course there is also a rule of no over taking in corners and no pressuring the driver infront- giving lots of space to everyone. So that minimises the chances of hitting another car.

No need for special tyres, But it is known that a day out at the track is about 5000 worth of miles on your tyre. So you might only get 1 years worth of use on your current tyres. Unless you want to go for special track tyres, something like Toyo r888, then you'll corner like a beast, But that involves another investment of tyres and wheels to fit on track side.

Your car needs to be below 101 db, any higher you'll get clocked by the sound check on the main straight and be thrown out. (most tracks have this rule very strictly enforced)- Edit, What Matt said below too, As most tracks are different, The ones i go to are 101

Make sure you have your oil topped up, as well as brake fluid.

But after the track day it is advisable to change the oil and brake fluid.

Reason being, The oil will become rather dirty and you'll most probably boil the brake fluid if you're pushing hard.

My brake fluid was boiled and my brakes became rather spongy on the way home.

For a Celica specific tip, Don't stay in lift around long sweeping corners. As told by se7en, The oil sump on our celicas are not great. Too much g's when cornering means the oil pump will be pumping up air instead of the useful stuff as the G forces will push it to one side. So just to avoid oil starvation and damage,esp in lift where the engine is revving like crazy

Edit* OO forgot about an important tip. Don;t apply the hand brake after a session on the track. Come back into the pits, Park your car, Leave car IN gear, Hand brake off.

"Leave the brakes to cool down for a bit. If you put the handbrake straight on you could find that the brake pads stick to the disk when you come to remove the handbrake."- I also heard it may warp your discs...

But most importantly, Enjoy yourself. Don;t let any other boy racers or track day heros ruin your day. Marshals are there to help, If someone is bugging you and up your arse all day, Tell them and they'll be warned/booted

Edited by samuaw

Basically what Sam has said is spot on. The oil pan isn't overly a big issue, as if you put in a little more oil you should be fine. The sump was designed to take 1g before oil starvation & there is no way you'll hit 1g in a corner, not on normal tyres.

Have fun & enjoy yourself. If you feel the car is getting away from you, ease off a little. You can make life for your tyres by cornering slower & taking a smoother line. If the tyres are squeeching, then tone it down a little.

My advice its a track day not a race. Dont let the red most fall and race people. Just enjoy. Learn your car and you'll love it even more.

As for the vehicle. Remove all loose objects. Jack, spare wheel etc, even CDs, you don't want anything hitting you if you did have a bump. Also extra weight. Stuff to take, a jack, bit of spare oil and coolant. Tyre pump and pressure gauge.

Maintenance: oil and brake fluid change after the event.

If you do get a taste for speed, look us up on the Toyota sprint series and have a bash. It's cheaper than most trackdays and you can enter any road legal car in a street class

Canon4pics, I'm involved in organising an afternoon on the Curborough Sprint Circuit near Lichfield (just off A38) on Saturday 16th July. The cost is £40 and we are limiting the number of cars to 25. If you're interested let me know, I'm the treasurer for the Club that hires the circuit every year, so I know that we are not fully booked as yet but definitely will be in the next few weeks. Maximum noise level is 105db and no Helmet is required. You would however be comparing your lap times with several Porsche's including at least two GT2's. Only one car is allowed on track at a time so there is no risk of a collision. Entry is by personal invitation only.

Just want to add that I'd recommend a 40 viscosity oil for your T Sport in case you are running 5W30.

HTH :)

Thanks for all the feedback, all top notch advice ( as expected :))

Ultimately I would love to go around Silverstone, but it may be a bit too big a track for a first time so might be better to get some experience on some smaller tracks first.

Perhaps Silverstone would be a great one to book up for a club event? So just Celicas are there for the day B)

Kev that sounds like it could be a good day out, although being compared against porsche times might be a bit shameful, espescially as my car is currently completely stock too lol. Are you recommending 40 viscosity oil just for track racing purposes or do you mean in general?

Just done my second track day but in a track shed and not in my celi. All I'll say is I'd never take a car you care about or is your daily driver to a track...it's so easy for it all to go tits up and you left with no car or facing massive bills. Doesn't matter if you've got deep pockets but if you're on a budget have a think about this.

I had to watch a lad in tears because he'd stuffed his brand new megane into a barrier, and it was his daily driver. It soon made me realise that a cheap track shed is the way to do it...the price of a new bumper for the megane was twice the cost of the entire car I was in...

The only other thing I can add is tyres..you don't need track tyres as said but you do need high performance road tyres or you will be off the track in no time at all. Something like Toyo T1R's etc are great, but if you've got budgets or plastic mile muncher tyres they'll bite you....

Thanks for all the feedback, all top notch advice ( as expected :))

Ultimately I would love to go around Silverstone, but it may be a bit too big a track for a first time so might be better to get some experience on some smaller tracks first.

Perhaps Silverstone would be a great one to book up for a club event? So just Celicas are there for the day B)

Kev that sounds like it could be a good day out, although being compared against porsche times might be a bit shameful, espescially as my car is currently completely stock too lol. Are you recommending 40 viscosity oil just for track racing purposes or do you mean in general?

I done silverstone to break my track cherry!! :lol: It is where trax2010 was held, and i had booked a track session, so open track, with all sorts of things on track, from euro shitboxes to race preped BMW's and drift spec 200sx's. was awesome.

I loved it, been looking forward to getting back on the track ever since. And just ordered a bung off of the tinterweb from ebay so i can take it with me if there is any sound issues at Brands hatch next month. :thumbs:

You're really competing against yourself, trying to reduce your lap time by a second or two. I forgot to mention, there is no set limit on the amount of laps you can do. I invited Neil (aka nboam) last year, but this year he is concentrating on drifting in his Sylvia.

5W40 gives you a little more protection for everyday use being thicker at running temperature, but on a Track Day it would be highly advisable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.