Another bloody oil rigger!

So iv sold my car via eBay, from a guy that has 15 feedback, now he"s telling me he works offshore at a bloody oil rig!!

But he said he's gonna come down to get the car and give me cash, any harm in that?

Just the words "oil rig, and off shore" puts scammers in my heads.

What do you think?

have someone a bit handy with you for the exchange, if they're a ballbag and try anything on...they won't get away with it.

oh and get a fake note detecting pen! Even if it means doing every note and keeping them waiting for an hour...so be it

I've never had a problem buying/selling on Ebay if the seller/buyer has good feedback. What sort of items is his feedback for, and do you have his contact details? If he won't give them to you you can get them from Ebay, but you have to raise a dispute to do it, which you don't want to do unless something is seriously wrong as it may piss the buyer off and cause him to renege on the deal.

People do work on oil rigs, I would not worry to much, if they came accross like my guy in off topic then I would be worried..

Saying that look at the people on here who work on rigs, maybe think again? :lol:

Edited by bigstring

if its sold through ebay then make sure they know its a fixed price and what it went for is what they pay, no coming and saying they only have half the money and there is this wrong and that wrong and they should have to pay the full amount.

i would also get something like a bank note checker if its going to be alot of cash changing hands.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bank+note+checker&hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1&aq=f

if you can do it on a week day and put the money in the bank the same day.

apart from that if its cash and its not left in the house for them to brake in and steel it back i cant see how you can go wrong.

you have to fill in the v5 form and send off now so should be any problems with that side of it.

cash is cash so should be ok.

andy

Well I'm selling my old mistbushi fto, and Iv have tons of emails from guys that "work offshore at oil rigs" most of which were trying to scam me.

Just being weary of this one, I mean.. I really hope he is genuine and buys it. Nice swift transaction... Done. Lol

Thanks as long as there's nothing that could possibly go wrong. He wants to come on a Sunday too.

How would he actually scam you though? The only way would be to not turn up (which would be annoying, but no real harm done just sell it again) or turn up without enough money which again is annoying, but just move him on a resell. Just have a few heavies round when he comes lol, if he comes with his own heavies, put it on youtube please ;)

If its genuine and good english i wouldnt see the problem, especially as he has said he woulkd be coming. The scammers want you to send money to their people to pick the car up/ transport it etc, or to money gram some shit, all much of a muchness. or they offer you way over with a fake cheque and you pass on the change to some other guy who is picking it up, i had them try that with my old MR2!! :rolleyes:

Give it a chance, some of us genuine blokes do actually work away. I work on the ships, as does GreyRacer. and were alright!! :P

But if it smells dodgey, walk away!!!!! Keep us posted. :thumbs:

A common scam people do is they pay for the item via paypal then ask to meet you to collect so you have the money and your happy to give the item. Then they wait 2 weeks then file a dispute with paypal saying item jot received an they have proof of paying. Paypal then email you and say either send the item or if you have sent it please provide us with a tracking number. You Obv don't have one and the funds are reversed after a few more weeks. It seems harmless at 1st but its a subtle scam...no western union plus u meet the person and effectively they have paid in full.

So what I'm saying is make sure it is cash and not him saying oh I'll paypal you instead like the day before.

Also get your log book and make sure it's filled out to say you have sold the car and make up a receipt. I would also ask for 2 forms of id

A common scam people do is they pay for the item via paypal then ask to meet you to collect so you have the money and your happy to give the item. Then they wait 2 weeks then file a dispute with paypal saying item jot received an they have proof of paying. Paypal then email you and say either send the item or if you have sent it please provide us with a tracking number. You Obv don't have one and the funds are reversed after a few more weeks. It seems harmless at 1st but its a subtle scam...no western union plus u meet the person and effectively they have paid in full.

So what I'm saying is make sure it is cash and not him saying oh I'll paypal you instead like the day before.

Also get your log book and make sure it's filled out to say you have sold the car and make up a receipt. I would also ask for 2 forms of id. If he thinks it's a hassle he won't bother but if someone really wants a car, their driving license is usually on them and they can pick up their passport or scan it.

Receipt is important also in which you can write sold as seen. Type one up and make two copies. Lay it out well and not just a single line at the top of the page. Have the eBay id number the date it was listed, the date it was sold, a pic of the car and eBay listing, name and address of the buyer(ask for utility bill). Also be prepared to also show him what you are asking from him like your utility bill and passport etc. Keeps it mutual

Hope that helps and it covers alla avenues best of luck!

P.s I'm working in Aberdeen and everyone here is an oil worker lol so don't be put off by that I don't think

Also get your log book and make sure it's filled out to say you have sold the car and make up a receipt. I would also ask for 2 forms of id

If anyone falls for this they deserve to lose their cash - if you're selling something like a car on Ebay you need to act professionally - prepare a receipt stating exactly what the transaction is and the amount paid and run off 2 copies, buyer and seller both to sign both copies and retain one each. That way there's no dispute. It's not exactly rocket science, is it? In addition I use a special account which is for Paypal transactions only, and as soon as any cash goes into it the funds are immediately transferred into my trading account which Paypal have no access to.

I've never needed to use it, though, and I have over 100 Ebay transactions - not a single one has caused me any problems.

P.s I'm working in Aberdeen and everyone here is an oil worker lol so don't be put off by that I don't think

Except me, though I aim to pitch myself at a slice of their inflated wages soon ...

Angus

As long as this guy is coming to collect and paying you by cash, it seems ok. Just check the cash is real as some of the others have said and there shouldnt be no problem.

I'm trying to sell my car and got this email, now this sounds dodgy, it might be genuine but i have my doubts. What do you guys think?

Not trying to hijack your thread but thought this might be relevant to other members trying to sell their car.

"Thanks for the mail i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my wife so i wont let her know anything about the car until it gets delivered to her, And also i will be contacting the shipping company about this and they will come for the pickup at your home  after the payment has been made to you and i will only be making payment via paypal safest online payment (pls visit www.paypal.co.uk)..Thanks for your cooperation..

Regards,

Webb"

Dodgy or not???

As long as this guy is coming to collect and paying you by cash, it seems ok. Just check the cash is real as some of the others have said and there shouldnt be no problem.

I'm trying to sell my car and got this email, now this sounds dodgy, it might be genuine but i have my doubts. What do you guys think?

Not trying to hijack your thread but thought this might be relevant to other members trying to sell their car.

"Thanks for the mail i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my wife so i wont let her know anything about the car until it gets delivered to her, And also i will be contacting the shipping company about this and they will come for the pickup at your home after the payment has been made to you and i will only be making payment via paypal safest online payment (pls visit www.paypal.co.uk)..Thanks for your cooperation..

Regards,

Webb"

Dodgy or not???

Dodgy, seen almost the exact same worded email before, probably on here from other members i think.

"Thanks for the mail i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the car to be a surprise for my wife so i wont let her know anything about the car until it gets delivered to her, And also i will be contacting the shipping company about this and they will come for the pickup at your home  after the payment has been made to you and i will only be making payment via paypal safest online payment (pls visit www.paypal.co.uk)..Thanks for your cooperation..

Regards,

Webb"

Dodgy or not???

id say dodgy thats about the 4th one ive seen like that but for different people, seen 2 for there brother. one for father and one for wife. all the same just with different people whom the suprise is for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.