import tax

anwar

Only if the supplier agreed to pay the import tax or duty, or their price was including said charge.. Unfortunately customs are well aware the value of the goods is more than their charge and know you are aware of this too... Lose out big or pay out small is the way they see it :)

when ordering parts for by bike from the US, i found that if you can convince the seller to write "warranty return" on the documents, then you don't pay the import fee.

some don't/won't though, and it can get expensive if you order lots from abroad.

guess ya gotta factor in they can whack an import tax on whenever you buy abroad.... if they don't sting you, then it's a bonus :)

• 4 months later...

quick question on this...

ive been looking at a part online from the us and he says he will write a lower value on all the doc's so i dont get stung for massive import duty.

will this work or will i just end up in the s**t?

ive been looking at a part online from the us and he says he will write a lower value on all the doc's so i dont get stung for massive import duty.

theres a word for this , its called fraud

if you get away with it then fantastic . jobs a good un , however if customs decideds the items declared value is deceptive to elude tax then then can happly fine you thousands

you takes your chances , cant recommend it but people get away with it every day

ahhh thts def a massive downside to it!

how can they check though?

figure how would you check ? they have internet acess so can evaluate anything they like within seconds regardless of what it is , if they suspect something based on common sense and proberbilitys then they crack the parcel open , have a good looksee and then decide between themseleves what they think an items worth , understanding there is an appeal process which relys on proof of payment and loads of pissing about , also understanding theres fookers are like mini-gods who can do what they please , also also understanding they are professional people who have seen this all before then simply put there not stupid

as an example a doll , someone sends a doll from the us, the items inside have to be listed namely a doll and also a value of lets say $20 , now postage from the us to the uk is going to be $50 so is it a worthwhile venture to source this doll from the us as the postage is 2.5 times the price of the item ,,, now does this sound suspicious already ? so ok its a rare item then to justify searching the globe for a doll but then if its that rare is it likely to be just $20 seeing how there are loads and loads of collecters out there ? likely ? suspicious ? oh and fook me if it isnt from a dealer also as the names listed on the item , must be a very cheap dealer then or someones aiming to get under the radar by listing 20 bucks ,,, lets crack this open and whatwouldyouknow its worth 4 grand , ok confiscate as evidence , issue a summons , check the bastards bank and employment details to see if hes living beyond his means , inform the tax man and inland revenue

ok listed is the worst possible , sadly it does happen from time to time , if an item is undervalued then its most likely they will fine you plus charge you for vat and tax on the item and the value they decide , if your not far off then they may just ignore this and just aim for getting the duty paid , now if it were me and i was buying an item with a value of say £300 id be very tempted to list it as sday £219 , its enough value that customs will enjoy shagging you up the arse and high enough value that they would concider the item to be within its realistic value range

oh blah blah blah , fraud dont do it blah blah blah :rolleyes:

It might work, but it's very unlikely. HMCS aren't silly, they've been doing this for years and they now have the strength of the Internet to aid them. This is a regular thing and they watch out for it. If they find that there is a discrepancy between the "estimated" value and the "invoiced" value they can sting you for the duty plus a huge fine.

Don't do it.

if you mark it as worth £150 - then the shipping company looses it - you will only get £150 back - and as said above its fraud - HMRC - dont mess with them - you can rob a person for £1000s and get a slap on the wrists - steel from the queen and they will throw the book at you.

i was about to say the same thing as ams.

if the package says £150 on it and it gets damaged or lost you will only ever see a max of £150 back for it and knowing what insurance companies are like as we all do you know you will only get 75% of that if your lucky. for piece of mind price it up and add 30% to the price for some thing over seas and if you can get it cheaper in the uk thats what i would do. the reason you find stuff in this country is alot more that importing stuff is because they have paid the import duties, tax and vat on it already. plus if you get some thing and it breaks and you have to send it back then you have the hastle of sending it to some far off country as well.

i have had stuff imported before and its all down to adding things up and working out, 1 if you can get it in this country and 2 if it works out cheaper in than importing with the duties.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.