Battery Charger / Conditioner

chan110

Sadly my RED (Gen4) died the other week - she usually lasts a good 3 weeks - but I left her alone for 4 weeks plus her windscreen was replaced for over 4 hours (door left opened) and then her doors wasn't shut over night - so guess all the courtesy lights left on for so many our killed the battery...

Anyway I rushed out to buy one of these:

CTEK_zps5adb243f.png

But thinking maybe getting another one as a backup or for my dad, just wondering which one to go for?

ALDI now available:

ALDI_zps48045364.png

or LIDL available today:

LIDL_zps8ec11d96.png

Plus, does anyone just leave the battery connected to the car and just leave the charger on over the weekend/winter after its been fully charged?

Or better to disconnect battery?

And just connect back on when I need the car?

I am just gonna give my RED a startup every month whilst she is in storage...

AFAIK, the biggest difference between the CTEK and the cheaper versions, is the CTEK will reset itself after a power cut, whereas the other two won't. Even though I already have the Ultimate Speed from Lidl, I have reserved another as a back up. Don't leave it for a few days if you plan a trip to Lidl though, they go on sale today and sell out quite quickly.

There's no need to disconnect the terminals when using these chargers, as they only have a max. charging capacity of 3.8A, and are designed to be left connected for long periods.

Cool guys!

I have fully charged my RED(gen4).

It started ok...but hav disconnected the batt.

I think I will reconnect batt and connect back the CTEK now :-)

Just hope I remember to disconnect the CTEK before backing out of garage!

Whn does one switch to the SNOWFLAKE mode if the CTEK always connected to car in garage?

considering i leave cars for ages at a time, all i do is disconnecte the battery and leave it on the bench. I try and start each car and allow it to warm up for at least 5 mins everytime i get up to the garage so they all get a run and the battery stays in good condition

if i was mothballing a car completely and not going anywhere near it for months on end i would probably use a battery conditioner

Been and bought one from lidl today. I paid £60 for a jump starter off ebay a couple years ago, and the damn thing didn't work. So if the car struggles not being used over winter just take it off and charge it, £15 well spent.

considering i leave cars for ages at a time, all i do is disconnecte the battery and leave it on the bench. I try and start each car and allow it to warm up for at least 5 mins everytime i get up to the garage so they all get a run and the battery stays in good condition

if i was mothballing a car completely and not going anywhere near it for months on end i would probably use a battery conditioner

Tis was the plan, Brian.

But the windscreen replacement + overnite courtesy light left on...killed off the batt :-(

Tis was the plan, Brian.

But the windscreen replacement + overnite courtesy light left on...killed off the batt :-(

if the battery is dead then just buy another in the spring for when your putting red back on the road

the battery in my beams is goosed but will jump and run just wont hold a charge, the one in the ST just died completly and wouldn't jump at all.

one battery gets moved around 2 cars just now and the beams will get a new battery when i get round to it :D

over the years i have learned that a car with an alarm can usually be left for a week or 2 (depending on age of battery) but a car with no alarm and a good battery can be left for 3 weeks under a pile of snow in the narnia that is port glasgow and still start first turn of the key :thumbs:

Cheers Brian.

I did hav a choice of buying a new battery or a charger.

considering the battery never let RED down but, potentially

battery get drained again if I left door open of something..

..it made sense to buy a charger instead.

hopefully the reconditioning of the battery by charger will

giv the battery a few more years refreshed life whn REDs alive again in

the spriing! :-)

• 11 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.