paint prep question

Hi

right so i plan on painting my car, the whole car that is, and using enamel based paint... with a small roller O_O now i know its not the "normal" way to paint a car, but as long as the result is good, who cares how its achieved.

i do have a few queries though with regards to prep work.

firstly, how much sanding do i need to do to my car before its gets its first lick of paint (no primer required :)) i mean surely i dont need to go down to bare metal do i? and when i say how much sanding, i basically mean what grade one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/120-GRIT-HOOK-LOOP-PUNCHED-SANDING-DISCS-SHEETS-125mm-/320546286761?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa20c2ca9#ht_694wt_754

one more worry i have is based on the fact i use my car almost every day, and there are no buses where i live (middle of nowhere village) so can i do a couple of coats, then drive it for a bit, wash it down wait to dry then continue painting?

thats it really, just need to buy a rotary sander/polisher, sandpaper, paint, rollers, brushes, thinner, panel wipe, masking tape, rubbing compound, t-cut, polish and a shit load of elbow grease

loads of lads over on the saxo forum painted their cars with rollers...was always matte black though as it seemed to work best and be easiest not to mess up. Wouldn't do it myself, like.

I think you just need to go through the grades till you've got a smooth enough surface..but I'm no expert. PM elseautos, he's clued up about this kinda ting-a-ling yo

Don't take it to metal. If your are just flashing it over with the same color you won't need to prime it. However do you have lacquer on your car?

If not, wet and dry the whole car down so there is no shine and do the new paint has something to key to.

I guarentee you wont be driving between coats. The amount of time it takes to mask the whole car....

As for grade, maybe 800?

so just sand until dull, thank god for that!

as for masking i dont think it will be too hard. i will use a more permanent tape to do things like window seals (pvc electrical tape is pretty good, and is water proof) that way i can use that to mask the edges and leave it on for the whole process, then use big sheets of card cut to each windows size and just stick them on and remove after each coat. should speed things up a little.

also as i will be rolling and brushing i shouldnt get too much paint where i dont want it, so dont have to do too mad, and will have some white spirit and a rag handy incase i drip some.

this will be either the bravest or most stupid car mod idea ive ever had, we shall see.

ill keep this short as i can

dont whatever you do use those pads , 120 grit is way way to rough , your looking on 600-800 only , you only need to ``key`` the surface for the new paint to stick to

so if you must

wash it , mask the shit out of everything , wet and dry the lot at 800 grit , then wash again , panel wipe it then paint away , give it a couple of goes over allowing to dry in between and then once 100% dry ( couple of days ) then cut back the snots , sags and runs using 1200-1500 wet and dry

You my friend, have balls

Yes!!! he does just a a idea, why dont you have a go on a few old car panals 1st sure you could get a totally unwanted bit from a local scrapper, just to give a bit of confidence Your a braver 'man' than me Pet !! :unsure:

Edited by cait

lol i wont use 600 grit, i aint mad, just posted that link to the type of discs i need and they were the first ebay found.

as for practice panels i have a body kit i will do first.

now one important detail i what colour to go for? im thinking orange, but which one:

http://www.rustoleum-mathys.co.uk/product/Rustoleum_CombiColor_7300_SMOOTH_id1190

ral2000 looks the best to me, your thoughts?

also i want to do some bits black, liek the scoop and spoiler for example. what else do ya recon i should blacken?

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, send it to the pro's. You'll thank yourself in the long run

nothing like a good confidence booster :)

i would bu the pros want a couple of grand, and besides, if someone else does it i miss out on all the fun

reason why we charge what we do bud pvc tape to mask i have heard it all now just get yourself some rattle cans and lacquar and do it that way you have a slight chance to rectify it if it goes tits up

every thing is wrong with pvc tape its to sticky ul have residue everywhere and paint doesnt stick to it so its going to run off that or flake on new paint leaving u up shit creek pm me the lowest price you have been quoted

No need for sand paper, red scotch brite and a bucket of water is all u will need if the paint is in fair condition.

paint is tip top, whats this scotch bright method you speak of?

paint is tip top, whats this scotch bright method you speak of?

its like the rough bit on a washing up sponge

are you not using paint thats made for brushing on then ??? ummmmmm oh dear

oh and yeah we use paper tape for a good reason , i bloody hate masking off

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.