Hard brake line advice please

Good morning all,

I am currently restoring my celica gen 7 and have noticed the rear caliper hose fittings & pipe are in a bad way. When the time comes I might need to make section.

I know brake pipes on Japanese cars have double flared ends & require a convex inner seat union to seal against.

So my shopping list is :
3/16 Copper Nickel Pipe
Sealey VS0350 Pipe cutter
An inline brake pipe flaring tool that can do both SAE bubble & inverted flare. (Recommendations please as I will be cutting my original steel one as well)
2 x bubble flare unions.
6 x fittings (M10 x 1mm) but can they all be the same? Sorry if that sounds a stupid question, but i am unsure if i need specific ones for the 4 bubble & 2 double.

Any tips & advice on where and what to buy would be appreciated.

I generally tend to re-use fittings. If you cut the old pipe you can use a proper 6 sided socket and get them out undamaged. Original Toyota stuff is often better quality then new.

I normally use this style of flaring tool. There are much better and less fiddly tools for professional use but these do the job.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht172-automotive-pipe-flaring-kit/

The pipe clamps in with the end coming out of the tapered side and use of the correct bit creates a bubble end. If you need a concave end, the bit is removed and the press part is used on it's own.

Note - these tools don't work well on steel although it can be done. I generally find the slightest bit of rust on a steel pipe and they crumble anyway so i normally completely replace them rather than splicing in a short section.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.