Advice please

I have advertised my Gen 7 GT on Autotrader. 

I have had a call from a buyer who has paid a £150 deposit into my bank account

The plan is that he will come and pick it up and transfer the balance on Saturday week

This is without seeing the car and after I have told him of the small faults with it

This has me a little worried

It's a long time since I sold a car privately

Any precautions I should be taking?

Yes, simple as that.  Don't hand anything over, or sign anything (see later), until you know for certain the money is in your account.  Any even half decent buyer won't have the slightest problem with that.  I sold a car privately about a year ago, and had to check a couple of times until I was sure the funds had cleared into my account.  The funny thing is that he was then a lot longer getting his insurance finalised, but that wasn't really my problem than.

With regard to signing (and sending off) the V5, I would send it off yourself asap after.  That way if the buyer happens to commit a misdemeanour or two in the days afterwards you will be in the clear.

Fair point.  Although - if memory serves - the DVLA website was down (for maintenance and for an unspecified time) at the time.

I received the acknowledgement, and confirmation that I was no longer the registered, within a week.  Apparently the new V5 took a little longer to reach the buyer, as he texted me, but all was good soon after for him and the fact I already had confirmation from them meant I had no reason to worry.

Get them to sign a receipt of sale (AA do one online that you can print off) do a copy for them and one for yourself, make sure you put the time on it so if they do get a ticket you have proof it was them.

The v5 transfer can be done online as long as it’s between 7am-7pm, if it’s after then just do it next day. The new logbook is normally with the new keeper within a week, you’ll get a confirmation of vehicle transfer and any tax refunded.

There is an option to have email copies of the logbook transfer sent to both parties online.

Give them the v5/2 (green slip) as they’ll need it to tax the car, you can destroy the rest of the v5 but I always wait till Iv got the confirmation through the post just to be absolutely sure.

Do none of the above until the funds have cleared into your account and make sure you check your account and not just going off their account that it’s been sent, if they’ve already transferred £150 then it should be recognised by your bank and the remaining funds should clear straight away.

Thanks for all that.

The guy is coming by train and I'm picking him up aound 5pm, so making a 7pm DVLA deadline might not be doable.

I expect him to pay by "Faster Payment" and will be able to check on-line, I also intent to check with my bank (Santander) whether there is any mechanism where he can pull back the money from my account after it appears in there

I am going to ask him to send a photo of his driving licence before he comes.

And he wants to test drive it, he will have to prove that he has insurance

The AA receipt is something I hadn't thought about so thanks for that

Update - The buyer has dropped out.

He wanted photos of the underside as the MoT had an advisory for "Slight corrosion to underside of vehicle"  I got the car over a pit and took some pictures.

Personally I though they looked awful, but the guy who has the pit and uses in to do MoT said that it was nothing to worry about. Just good wire brushing and spray with Lanoguard

However, the buyer was being told by his mechanic that if the stringers were rotten then it was a major problem

I've never heard the term "stringers" used on here.

Corroding subframes and sills, but never stringers

Has anyone any idea what he is talking about?

Could it be 57117B and %7418B on this diagram?

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2005/celica/zzt231r-blfvfw/2_252580_004_/body/5801_floor-pan-lower-back-panel

Anyway, he says to keep the deposit to cover the costs of getting the photos

1 hour ago, trophytr5 said:

Could it be 57117B and 57418B on this diagram?

You maybe correct, 'stringer' is a nautical term meaning the fore-and-aft girder running along the side of a boat or ship.

Your punter maybe a pirate who has changed his mind after finding a galleon instead.

Those diagram parts you show are essential jacking points so if they were rotten the Celica certainly wouldn't be sea worthy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.