Clutch slip, or normal behaviour?

Yesterday on the way home I was at a set of traffic lights on a straight 60mph road, with no one around. Thought this might be a nice change to stretch its legs a little from a standing start.

Kept the revs at 4,000rpm, then lifted the clutch off and gave it full throttle. With the clutch now fully engaged and the throttle to the floor, the revs stayed at about 5,000rpm with no wheel spin, before the clutch slipped up to 8,000rpm. I put it in second to see if it did the same, and it did. Foot flat to the floor and it slipped up to 7,000rpm but went back down to 3,000rpm when I took my foot off. Instant thoughts, my clutch was on its way out. After a 20 minute motorway journey, the clutch still stank.

But, I can't get it to slip since at all. No matter what gear I put it in - 6th, 5th, 4th, foot flat to the floor, it doesn't slip at all. It'll only do it if I launch the car as stated.

To me, it's a sign that the clutch isn't in great condition, but won't slip unless I put too much stress onto it. But I wanted to check in case this was somehow normal? I'm guessing not though.

Ta muchly!

Yea this is pretty normal behavior for a worn clutch, it's exactly what happened to mine. Eventually it got worse and when it got to the point that all I have to do is floor it to make it slip, I then got it changed but for now if you can make do without any launches for a while, you may as well get your use out of it

Ahh great stuff. Well not great, but at least I know what the issue is. Like I said though I can't get it to slip at all, even if I floor it in 1st it doesn't slip - only if I launch it. I'll just refrain from doing that until I get it sorted eventually :)

Many thanks!

I have a clutch issues thread about 6 months ago G. Exactly the same. Nailed it from lights 4 up. Car filled with clutch smoke. Son and his mates well impressed. Not! I was frankly unimpressed with a duff clutch under 70k when most of those were allegedly commuting on dual cabbageway.

Otherwise drove absolutely fine. No problem with slippage uphill in high gear which is when I expected slip. Just on giving it beans from standing, which as I rarely did meant I got another 3 months use out of it whist I hunted down my choice of replacement.

I shall now retire and watch the "which clutch?" deliberations.

I vote ACT HD "Street" :D

Overkill for a stock TSport but for the above reasons I regard stock as weak.

post-40822-0-60557700-1433151911_thumb.jpg

Edited by daytona

Nice one Ian :)

Thing is, I've only done a standing launch like that twice, maybe three times since having the car. It's not something I plan to do, so I'm not sure if I'd benefit from the expense of a clutch like that!

Entirely a matter of choice G. I wasn't sure :shrug: Bought an Exeedy oem quality jobbie for £66 just because it was ridiculously cheap, but I had been looking for something a bit more beefy for months ..................... and naturally the day after I ordered the Exeedy the ACT popped up under £200. :doh:
This means Liana_J is a very lucky mare indeed as she has acquired said Exeedy for a trifling £40
In use the ACT is just as easy to use as stock but bites harder and sooner as one would expect.
I don't spank mine everywhere certainly, but when it is properly warmed we go from O to lift ummmmm briskly.
Oddly next on shop list..........4 new tyres. :rolleyes:

As the slippage is under revs rather than load I did wonder whether it was spring related rather than plate related? Either way it was going to get replaced!

Edited by daytona

Get it changed just now Ger as you might end up with the rivets showing on the clutch plate and marking the face of the flywheel - will change the simple swap to have to remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced :thumbs:

i have to admit to launching the 185, just the once mind.

it was just after i discovered that i need a propshaft bearing and carrier assembly :rolleyes:

Get it changed just now Ger as you might end up with the rivets showing on the clutch plate and marking the face of the flywheel - will change the simple swap to have to remove the flywheel and have it resurfaced :thumbs:

I've driven it a few times since and it's still absolutely fine. Pedal travel is the same, no slip, feels good. Even if I start crawling and then give it full throttle in first (not launching), I still can't get it to slip, so I don't think it'll need changing for a while yet :)

Why not just stop launching - it's destructive.

Was only the second time I ever did it as I'm aware it's not great - not planning on doing it again anytime soon!

From a stand still, put it in 6th and with no throttle, ease off the clutch. If it stalls, a new clutch is needed.

If it stalls, that means the clutch is engaging fine and a new clutch is not needed.

It's alright bud I know how to test a slipping clutch :) but like I said, I can't get it to slip what so ever after that one initial launch, where it slipped in first and second (weirdly).

One thing I did remember though guys - it was damp. Could have been wheel spin, but I felt no wheel hop and the TCS light didn't come on, which ruled out wheelspin for me. Plus the clutch stank.

Edited by geraintthomas

If it stalls, that means the clutch is engaging fine and a new clutch is not needed.

It's alright bud I know how to test a slipping clutch :) but like I said, I can't get it to slip what so ever after that one initial launch, where it slipped in first and second (weirdly).

One thing I did remember though guys - it was damp. Could have been wheel spin, but I felt no wheel hop and the TCS light didn't come on, which ruled out wheelspin for me. Plus the clutch stank.

There was definitely supposed to be a 'not' in there.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.