Can i top-up with 10w40 with 5w40 in the engine?

Use the 5W40 fully synth Triple QX, it will only be slightly more than the 10W40 part.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w40-engine-oil/?521776031&0&cc5_248

Halfords will also be doing a very good deal on their own branded 5W40 next month.

if your car is chewing through oil it wont mater what you mix it with. Just be sure there is always a good level. The different oils will have different additives, part and fully shouldnt matter, its not like they will react and destroy the place! it will run normally.

i would be more worried as to why its eating the oil...

• Like 1

This is a question i nearly asked on here this morning

Sent a message to the fella i just bought from to see what he'd been using in it

er i think it was 5/40

hmmm , usually run 10/40

but not really wanting to do an oil change yet

should i need to top up i guess i need to pick up a couple of litres of 5/40

do have 4litres of 15/40 sitting on shelf here though,,,,,,,,,,

Hey cheers for the replies :)

I purchased a litre of carplan fully synth 5w40 and in the end only needed half a litre so checking the oil level when cold is very important as if I wud have topped up last nite when it was on a third so cud have potentially over filled :/

Arizona 15w40 does sound a little thick for start up thickness :/

Arizona 15w40 does sound a little thick for start up thickness :/

Agreed

Was on way to work this morning when the oil light flashed on on the motorway on the new one. Had chucked the 15/40 in the boot this morning as a just in case measure

pulled over and stuck about half a ltr in just to get to next services so i could check it out

am thinking this is just a dodgy sensor as it turned out to be fine, oil level on just over three quarters full

its flashed on a couple of times since and at one point stayed on for 30 seconds or so.

I'll be fixing that on the dash with a bit of black tape......

am thinking this is just a dodgy sensor as it turned out to be fine, oil level on just over three quarters full

3SGE oil level sensor is renowned for doing this - can bridge the contacts on the sensor in the sump with a piece of wire and refit plug if you don't want unsightly tape on the dash - or spend £130 upwards for a new sump sensor from Mr T!

3SGE oil level sensor is renowned for doing this - can bridge the contacts on the sensor in the sump with a piece of wire and refit plug if you don't want unsightly tape on the dash - or spend £130 upwards for a new sump sensor from Mr T!

Thanks keef-b would say this is certainly what this is

It runs really well and pulls like a train but i'm not going to be needing it once the other one is ready so rather than stop the light coming on i'll stick bit of tape on for now and inform the new owner when its sold , then they can chose to do whichever

Knew the sensor was expensive but :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm another thread I'd forgot about..

As with regard to the oil sensor I changed mine and redid the wiring as it wud flicker and be white sporadic but all good now and with regards to the oil I seem t be using it at the same rate as the 10w40 so shall stick with the 5w40 till it warms up a little..

Thanx for the replys though and info.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.