Body work. Need to fix PU to PU.

splinter

As in the title. Don't know if they are compatible. But I want to splice a stock Evo 8 front bumper part I to my gen 7 stock front bumper. Is there any adhesives or fillers/fixings any one can recommend?

Remember seeing Edd China on the BMW 8 series nose come use a black adhesive that you mix on a mesh backing and you channel the groove and drill each side out. Then squeeze it on from the back. With a plastic front sheet to keep it smooth. But, he doesn't say the product name.

Any help appreciated as I want it done before JAE.

Edited by splinter

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/waysideadhesivesdirect/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyurethane-Semi-Rigid-Plastic-Repair-Refill-Kit-50ml-60-sec-/221245983626?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item338349cb8a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTIC-REPAIR-REINFORCEMENT-MESH-PATCH-5mtr-ROLL-/320055822556?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item4a84d048dc

Not sure how much you'll need. Get the longer curing adhesive, the 60 second stuff is not easy to work with. Says on the ad there are 3 cure rates the longest is 3.5 mins which may be too long, no sign of the mid range.

I've got an applicator gun if you need to borrow one. :thumbs:

The Nottingham firm Wayside adhesives that Limeymk1 recommended are brilliant for advice.

My hubby has dealt with them quite a bit. The nosecone on my car is a mix of Toyota polyethelene and some form of plastic/ unknown resin on the lower section and he managed to bond these perfectly using there products :)

There is a system Matt. My bodyshop did it to my front splitter to bumper when it was damaged. Its some kind of heat/electrical/fusion bonding. If I was at home i'd find out for you not I'm in a Chinese building yard. They did tell me though that its irreversable.

Just looked at the links Limeymk1 put up. That's the stuff I had in mind, with the mesh back and smoothing plastic and PU bonding capabilities.

Will order a full start up kit as I will need a lot. Cheers for your help guys and girls.

Matt

Not trying to preach to you how to do this, :) But if I can relay this from my hubby the prep is most important with this kit. You will have a sheet of what is a type of polythene that is totally non stick which when put over the repair goo aids the smoothing out, if I can give one special tip hubby does is to find a way of putting some "extra weight/clamp, not a lot needed" on the patch to help with ensuring no air voids. And clean off as much excess to the outer show face asap before it fully sets as it can be a pig to sand down, as hubby found out the hard way which is testament to how good this stuff is.

You already know my nosecone is 2 different and plastics bonded with this kit, he has used it on varied bits for instance a R33 nosecone to repair all the mounting tabs, spoiler for same and 3 years later still going strong. Brilliant on motorbike fairings, upto now he hasnt found anything in plastic or glass fibre it wont bond to.

Ps No we are not in anyway attached to this company, just in case anyone is thinking so :) Hope this helps

Used it to glue down the wood trim round the floorboards in my house so works on that too. :lol:

What cure rate did your hubby use?

Oh and Matt if you need a stand to put the bumper on I have a couple of bodyshop panel stands if you need one.

Edited by Limeymk1

Thanks Limey. I have made up a jig so it keeps all the extremetie points correct for the current set up. I want more ground clearance on the new set up so will add wood to the base to bring it up. This will allow me to run my race undertray day to day then.

1CBDF1BC-8B6F-44F8-B543-4638E3A55183_zps

1CFBAA78-4A36-460E-8BCD-F8368338883B_zps

1CC4924C-1773-42F0-B40F-36A0359504F7_zps

0314587B-BE08-4129-B27F-E5DD7F215581_zps

DC7B731E-EE8D-4D9F-ABA8-6C2DA6C25D0B_zps

0F1A95C5-9603-42CA-8A77-9CC1692ACB48_zps

053C824B-F718-4DD1-B688-489E6249806D_zps

2E7D3EAB-3E0E-4D91-826D-38A4DA8559C3_zps

5ABC5126-3F25-494C-BFB5-E907D53C5FBA_zps

Just waiting on my facelift bumper to be delivered. Then I can get on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.