Welding backbox

Hi all,

Just got myself a second hand HKS silent power exhaust and have been reading about the weak spot welds on the top of the muffler.

IMG_20140529_125019.jpg

Before fitting I wanted to get this welded up.

So:

Does anyone know a decent welder in the grantham/Peterborough area?

Also, would I be best taking it to a special place that fits exhausts or will anyone that can weld be OK to do it?

Cheers

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Just make sure you go to somewhere that is experienced with welding stainless. A custom exhaust place might end up being quite pricey. Have a drive around some industrial estates, you'll usually be able to find a small manufacturing place that will be able to do it for you. I'd shop around for a few prices too if you can

Try R A Roan in Peterborough (Google them).

They did some alloy welding on the Triumph engine which was a good piece of work.

However, they were a lot smaller firm then (20 years ago!) and may not now be interested in small one-off jobs

Cheers guy's I'll have a shop around. It doesn't have to be particularly tidy as it will be out of site on top of the muffler. Is stainless harder to work with?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

not really any harder but not all places are set up to do stainless,i recently repacked a mid box & re welding was a PITA as the box itself was not 1 thick sheet but a thin sheet wrapped round twice then spot welded as yours seems to be,this gave a void between the sheets so made it tricky to tig weld it :( ,

got it done just not pretty is also facing upwards & in the middle of the car so wasn't too worried.

ive found a recommended custom exhaust place in bristol (on edge) called infinity exhausts and they can do a axle back aircraft grade backbox made to fit for less than £200 fitted.

and you have the choice of 3 sound options and loads of tailpiipe designs within the cost ..

http://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/testimonials.php

Cheers Dave. I've found a bloke in Grantham that's seems to be quite confident so I'm gonna take it down so he can have a look. What price do you think I should be paying for a job like this?

ive found a recommended custom exhaust place in bristol (on edge) called infinity exhausts and they can do a axle back aircraft grade backbox made to fit for less than £200 fitted.

and you have the choice of 3 sound options and loads of tailpiipe designs within the cost ..

http://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/testimonials.php

Cheers mate but I don't need a new one as I've just bought this one. I'm mainly getting it welded as prevention of it blowing later down the line.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.