Rust, chips and repair options

I made the most of the sunny weather at the weekend and gave Aristotle a good clean.

Unfortunately this also highlighted all the imperfections on his bodywork including rust! :o

The main points of concern are around the door edges, the flanks and some areas where chips have gone down to the metal and began to rust. No bubbling of paint yet but I want to stop any of these ugly bits getting worse as otherwise the car is brilliant.

I was wondering if anyone has any DIY advice for the minor bits (superficial chips or just down to the primer) and could recommend products and methods. I'm thinking something off the shelf for a decent finish with a bit of elbow grease as I don't want to attempt something and bodge it. Aristotle is Lagoon Blue btw.

For the bits beyond an amateur I intend on approaching some bodyshops. I know another CCUK member has been to one near me and I had my wheels refurbished there. However they also did my neighbour's GT4 and he wasn't happy with the finish so I think further quotes will be required. I won't require a re-spray, the bonnet has minor specks from stone chips but it's not in dire need yet.

Any advice welcome! Thanks :lol:

I found something similar on mine a few weeks ago. The worst patches required the attention of the body shop (rust right through the sill in one place). The rest were mainly paint chips and rust spots around the door edges. I was pleasantly surprised to find that rubbing these down, treating with kurust and then over painting with a couple of layers of touch-up paint gave a surprisingly good result - certainly good enough for an area that's not that visible.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm off to Halfords now to get supplies. Most of the annoying bits I can see probably aren't too visible to anyone else. Does anybody have any before and after pictures so I know what is achievable?

Cheers!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.