My Celica has gone :(

Aftershock

It's the 1.9 jtd multi jet mate made by fiat it's in the Alfas Saab and Vauxhalls bud. Waterpump fails and flings the Cambelt off. EGR failures, MAF failures and swirl flaps on the turbo fail flinging bits into the engine killing it. Vac hoses split from the turbo too.

All cost between £75-£120 each to sort plus labour.

I made a big mistake.

It's the 1.9 jtd multi jet mate made by fiat it's in the Alfas Saab and Vauxhalls bud. Waterpump fails and flings the Cambelt off. EGR failures, MAF failures and swirl flaps on the turbo fail flinging bits into the engine killing it. Vac hoses split from the turbo too.

All cost between £75-£120 each to sort plus labour.

I made a big mistake.

Not that you're bitter or anything. :lol:

Nah not at all :lol:

If I can help someone avoid making the same mistakes though I will ;)

Big problem is that it gives similar symptoms for each. No power, crappy idle, difficult start up so you could get lucky and fix one of them and get it right first time. Orrrrrr you could fix all 4 and it's the last one that needed sorting.

Nah not at all :lol:

If I can help someone avoid making the same mistakes though I will ;)

Big problem is that it gives similar symptoms for each. No power, crappy idle, difficult start up so you could get lucky and fix one of them and get it right first time. Orrrrrr you could fix all 4 and it's the last one that needed sorting.

That's like the tail wagging the dog! Manufacturers mechanics are supposed to be able to zone in and "know" what the fault is without guess work......it's like the car is sat their grinning......."Go on mate.......have a guess!" :lol:

In my day, a set of plugs and points and you only had the two choices!! :D

• Like 1

That's like the tail wagging the dog! Manufacturers mechanics are supposed to be able to zone in and "know" what the fault is without guess work......it's like the car is sat their grinning......."Go on mate.......have a guess!" :lol:

In my day, a set of plugs and points and you only had the two choices!! :D

Tell me about it. The engine management light was on so I bought a code scanner. Guess what happened it went off the morning it arrived all on its own and no codes :brickwall:

Oh god I hate to do this as well :sofa:

E46 320d. I had one. Wasn't nice. Felt dated and tacky inside compared to the gen 7 which isn't the most sophisticated and Issues were maf again Lower control arms and leaking air con. Worst issue was again the turbo swirl flaps breaking and going into the engine and destroying it from inside.

Have you though along the lines of an accord estate at all. Can get a decent one for not too much plus they are bulletproof and well equipped.

All common faults dubs if you look around matey.

With the alfa it was a total gamble I knew of the issues but a lot of people said they had never had a prob. Risked it. Backfired. Live and learn.

Funnily enough the only cars that have never given me grief have been the 2zz ones. Corolla 1.6 T3 and the 2 gen 7's I've owned.

I like the E46 BMW 320d and it seems to be getting better value now. Or maybe the Volvo V50 2.0 diesel?

I've got an e46 320d touring and in love it, buy a 54 or 05 and you should avoid the swirl flaps issues cravo mentions or pay £159 to have them removed

I hammer mine and get 46mpg, the saloon is meant to be a few mpg better too. Mines as se but I'll be after the m sport next time

Its my boring car until my baby (due in 4 weeks) is out of a pushchairs then its gen 7 time again !

Maybe the v50 then?

I think they look great inside and out, especially with the floating centre console (avoid wood finish though). Early ones around 54 plate are not much over 3k now if you don't mind miles. I saw a lovely v50 D5 outside work the other day. Looked it up and the performance is great but they seem to be newer and quite pricey. Most are autos too.

Well i've been looking for a few weeks but since the celica went last night was in need of a car. I've just put a deposit down on a 2007 Vectra 1.9 CDTi the 150 bhp version. I know there are common faults such as water pump seizing etc but this one has full service history and in immaculate condition, was owned by Vauxhall for the first 3 years then a retired couple who took very good care of it as far as i can see.

To be honest it was the only one i've seen in the last few weeks that fitted what i was after, not as many cars for sale up here and didn't want to travel down south.

I'll be staying in the club and plan another celica in the future :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.