Tapping sound from engine

digs

Hi, recorded my engine starting up....you can hear a tapping sound. It is louder when listening (can hear it inside the care), seems to be coming from top of engine.

However not ruled out something not secured yet that is banging about, only started recently, but does anyone recognise and can go, yup, that's the sound of xxxxxxxxx dying in your car? :D

Have put up a recording here;

https://soundcloud.com/digstar/3sfe-engine-not-a-good-sound

it it titled not a good sound, but I quite like the sound when it starts up intially!

Seems to be coming from behid throttle body, near injectors (which I changed a month ago) maybe worth taking valve cover off again and redoing....

(I know I am answering myself...)

Thanks. Not sure on this side of things, my engine manual says

"Adjustment of the valve clearance is done by means of an outer shim type system, in which valve adjusting shims are located above the valve lifters"

That mean they are manual and adjustable?

Will use a mic at different spots I think to pinpoint where its coming from (did think exhaust gasket leak as did have that before, but doesn't seem to be coming from that area...sounds more metallic as well).

Also, just started her up again and was at lot less noticable...doing a tuning run tomorrow morning so will monitor.

Thanks for listening!!

EDIT: My manual actually has full process for checking valve clearance etc, handily! Something new to learn

Edited by digs

To me, form the sound clip it sounds like injectors..if the sound is coming from behind the throttle body. Most cars sound like that to a certain extent

Is the sound even all along the engine from the timing belt end to the gearbox end (Front to Rear) ?.

If it were tappets, (one was out of adjustment) then you would have an area of the head noisier than the rest of the head.

Yes, it's pretty even, which is one of the reasons was struggling to find it. I do have different injectors in, so it would make sense if it was that, as they could be making a louder sound than my old ones and so I am picking up on it now, as its "different". No issues with idling, engine surges etc.

Thanks for taking time to listen and give advice :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.