Wow.......what a noise

I cleaned my car today and polished. Also got some wire wool to the outside and inside of the exhaust. Then metal polished the outside and inside of it.

Started her up and wow.....she was roaring. Then the bloody looks i got from everyone as i drove down the street. The car was bloody loud.

Is this cause i cleaned out all the soot? The soot acts as a sort of silencer dont it?

All i know is the car was a lot louder than usual. Hehe.

Huh? Dont start saying things like that guys. After driving it for about 20 mins, the sound got deeper and back to sounding how it did before.

This is what makes me think its the soot that changes the pitch of the sound. It only sounded louder for about 15 mins of driving after polishing out the tailpipe.

Exhausts do sound different when they're clean and not coked up, but I don't think you'd have cleaned far enough in to make a difference with that, if anything you could have made an existing hole bigger with the wiggling of the exhaust when cleaning, that might quieter down when it cokes up a bit after use, but worth getting a torch and your phone and getting a video of you moving the phone around all the welds checking for holes. I always use my phone and a video to see into the parts I can't fit my head..... On the car I mean :lol:

Ah crap. OK. I generally thought it was cause i cleaned the tailpipe out. Ill check the exhaust with a torch and phone. Although it should have a hole or a crack in it as its a stainless steel catback system and only about 3 months old. If there is a crack or a hole, i will going straight back to MIJ's to get it sorted. Lifetime guarantee and all.

Its only the first 20-30 mins of driving that the note changes. After that it sounds like it normally does.

As a general rule, cleaning the outside and tip of the exhaust shouldn't alter the note, only the looks :lol:

Haha. It wasn't just the tip and outside i done. LOL. I got the wire wool and polish right the way into the japcan as far as my hand would fit.

The only joins from the cat section to the rear of the car is the 2 seals either end of the de-cat pipe as the rest of it is welded.

The car is back to its normal sound now. It was after 20 mins of driving after i polished out the can. And it was just the can i polished out as i cant get my hand any further in past the jap can.

I will test it out again next time i polish the can out. Im pretty sure its just cause i cleaned it out as the note changes everytime i polish it out, then always returns back to original sound after half hour or driving.

MOT is due soon so i will see if there is a hole in it then.

Edited by scorps1212

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.