Antifreeze/water mix

Now I know your all just gunna say "buy toyotas pre mixed stuff ya can't go wrong with that" lol well I didn't fancy a drive to toyota and I can get antifreeze cheap through work so I did lol

So the stuff I got from work isn't ready mixed so do I do 50/50 water/antifreeze or more water to antifreeze or more antifreeze to water ? Lol

Hey mate the Toyota stuff has special additives in it but if it on a budget go for car plan 2litre red NOT BLUE. If u can only get concentrate then put 50 50 and it's approx 4litres so put 2 litres of red concentrate and keep going with distilled water or just normal will be fine till u can't get any more in...heaters on full hot and run the engine up to temp with the cap off for 5 mins gently revving..let it cool down fully then top up with water...

I've assumed u hav a gen 6?

P.s. make sure u flush thru the rad and engine first...

i always see this stuff posted but i never undderstand so ill ask it here....why red coolant not blue? what is the difference between the two in terms of the effect on the car? just to add ive ran blue coolant in the celica for the last 2 years with absolutely no problems so i really dont see the point in paying toyota a ridiculous amount for a different colour unless somebody can tell me a tangible difference ;)

Edited by Mek

i always see this stuff posted but i never undderstand so ill ask it here....why red coolant not blue? what is the difference between the two in terms of the effect on the car? just to add ive ran blue coolant in the celica for the last 2 years with absolutely no problems so i really dont see the point in paying toyota a ridiculous amount for a different colour unless somebody can tell me a tangible difference ;)

Blue and red have different adatives and I believe the red is supposed to have a longer life. Think blue is recommended to be changed every 2 years whereas red is upto 5 years I think ?

Blue and red have different adatives and I believe the red is supposed to have a longer life. Think blue is recommended to be changed every 2 years whereas red is upto 5 years I think ?

Even if I replaced the blue every 2 years it would still be cheaper to do Do so than buying the red from Toyota to last 5 years. So if that is the only reason I really don't see the point of buying the red

One or the other can destroy the seals in the coolant. I'm running the pink I think it is. That's what it's meant to run on and that's what I use...

One or the other can destroy the seals in the coolant. I'm running the pink I think it is. That's what it's meant to run on and that's what I use...

How does it destroy the seals? I have been running blue coolant in cars for years and never had an issue, indeed never had an issue with blue coolant in this car. Somebody have any evidence of the benefits of red over blue or something that isn't just anecdotal. I am skeptical that this is anything more than Toyota ripping people off for coolant when other types work perfectly well

Edited by Mek

the difference is red antifreeze is monoetheylene glycol(synthetic) based ,and blue or green is glycol based ,the only difference between the two is the life and anti corrosion properties

red has a life of 5 years or 100k miles

blue/green has a life of 2 years or 30k miles

there is absolutely no truth in the rumour that Toyota antifreeze is better than any other red longlife antifreeze on the market ,they are all produced to the same specs and all have the anti corrosion additives in for aluminium blocks/cylinder heads

red antifreeze does however have a capacity to find its way through rubber seals and cause leaks easier than glycol based blue /green antifreeze

Edited by tctech
  • Like 1

That's what it was filled with but then the radiator was replaced not too long ago with the previous owner.

So what's the difference between the others and pink?

Or is the pink just to look pretty with the hair dryer? Lol

That's what it was filled with but then the radiator was replaced not too long ago with the previous owner.

So what's the difference between the others and pink?

This link may throw a little more light on the difference. I've chosen to stick to "Red", only because I've heard on this forum, "Pink" can attack the water pump gasket.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/80-89-95-toyota-pickup-hilux/317931-difference-between-red-coolant-pink-coolant.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.