Poor radio reception

For the last few weeks, I'm suffering from very poor reception on all FM stations after previously being nigh on perfect. Radios 1 & 2 are only showing the frequency, rather than the station name. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this, is that I had the Battery off the car a few weeks ago for a trickle charge. Is it possible that on reconnecting the Battery, I have blown a suppressor?, or could there be another cause?. Because the H/U hasn't been touched, I haven't removed it to check the aerial connection.

ive had a few sony stereo's do this - is it the sony unit? if it is then probably the unit itself is goosed - but worth checking the aerial cable hasnt unplugged itself - shouldnt really as its pretty solid

yeah my sony mini-disk player did the same thing, and had the stock unit do it in my red celica

you can probably pick up a used one fairly cheap as most radio repair places want £45 minimum - but is a good excuse to upgrade to a DAB unit

I picked this up for £150 last year from halfords when they had a sale on (was down from £300 and was £50 cheaper than anywhere on the internet)

is on special again at only £109

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_869325_langId_-1_categoryId_265865

might pick up another for one of the other motors at that price!

Thanks for the link, ams. If I do end up buying a new H/U, it will have to be a Sony, as I have a Sony 10 disc changer. The DAB one doesn't have a remote as far as I can tell, and that's one thing I would really miss. After 13 years, I've got rather attached to the black face one :(

The DAB one I linked comes with a remote but none of the new sony headunit have the BUS port anymore so you cant add a CD changer,

This almost stopped me from buying it, as I have 10CD mp3 changer, plus a BUS controller that allowed me to play my DVD player though it, all of which cant be used now.

Plus side is that is iPod capatible, and you can plug a USB pen in directly, plus a phono port - not that ive managed to move my CD collection over yet...have bought a 64gb usb pen that has about 300 songs on and hardly used any space

Also most of the Sony remotes work between other stereos - so if your used to where your buttons are you can probably still use it - but maybe with out the full functionality - but my DAB one did come with one

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.