Rounded Bolt on Caliper. Advice Please

Well the good news is that the bottom one is easier to get to than the top one...

Your options are to either grind &/or drill the head of the bolt then replace it, or depending on what tools (for grinding/drilling) you have, you might have better luck with one of these.

I'd be very wary of hammering sockets onto hub/brake components as they crack a lot easier than you'd think (if you even have enough room to swing a hammer, that is).

Depends how badly it's rounded. I had exactly the same issue on the same bolt last week and managed to spin it right off with some of these a mate had http://m.screwfix.com/p/irwin-5-piece-bolt-grip-nut-remover-set/96028

Just removed the bolt for the top arm so I could get my big torque wrench between the shock and bolt.

Just removed the bolt for the top arm so I could get my big torque wrench between the shock and bolt.

You shouldn't use a torque wrench for undoing nuts/bolts.

It's a precision instrument, not a fancy breaker bar. :)

You shouldn't use a torque wrench for undoing nuts/bolts.

It's a precision instrument, not a fancy breaker bar. :)

My one is seized after me stupidly working in the rain, so now it is a fancy breaker bar lol.

I use my smaller one for precision stuff :)

Also just noticed the Screwfix link didn't work ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000CCXVZ/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550952229&ref=asc_df_B0000CCXVZ

Edited by adlev27

Is a bolt or a set screw? Bolts have nuts on the other side so if you remove the head it should drop out. If it's a set, then it's screwed into the caliper and removing the head will not get you anywhere.

Try, if you can get at it, filing new flats on the bolt, assuming it's mild steel. and using a smaller spanner

i am assuming that you rounded it by using a multi-hex socket so my first try would be try a 6 sided socket on the bolt...you may be surprised...if not then next step is what Adex recommended :thumbs:

This. ^^^

I got a set of 6 sided hex fits for the exact same reason, and never had this problem since.

Its was a 12 point socket, I have no 6 point ones are they much better for not slipping

Just paid £60 for a halfords one, wish I had seen the teng 6 point set now

Its a set screw not a bolt

I have ordered one of the sets from the link so that might work

Yeah unless the head of the bolt is nearly all rust then a CORRECT SIZE 6 point socket will nearly always work as the surface area connecting the socket and the head is far greater as apposed to relying on just the corners of a head which can easily be rounded off even on new bolts haha :thumbs:

I would definitely reccomend a set if you are working on an old car haha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.