Car struggles to start...

Ok so i left the Celica for a week, come back and it is struggling to start. It turns over slowly a few times, groans a little then starts eventually. Is the battery going?

Last time my battery was dead it clicked, but that was completely dead. I have had the battery 5 years

A long run may make it last another day or two over what your getting now, but if it's on it's way out then it won't do much.

As for voltage it should be high 11's or into the 12 volt range, depending on the condition.

When mine went last year it still read 12v but only lasted a few days before it started to struggle again after a long drive or a charge.

It starts up quick and fine after a little run, i just took it out for 20-30 mins.

The OBD port says 13.2V and steady, so the alternator is fine. Im thinking maybe its because i left it in the cold for a week untouched through all that snow?

Dont ask why photobucket turned it upside down, i dont know lol:

http://s703.photobucket.com/user/Ben5560/media/20130318_181555_zps23da5883.mp4.html

th_20130318_181555_zps23da5883.jpg

I had the exact same thing with mine recently Ben. Very slow to turn over and the car did eventually start. I just stuck the battery on to charge and she's good as new. My battery is only a few years old though, hence why I didn't replace it. I'd get a new battery or invest in a charger if I was you mate

Doubt it will last you another winter - will let you down when you really need it - way I look at is - replace it now and you will get 5 years use out of the new one - which is probably more than you will keep the car.

I dont think i will have it another winter to be honest!

I just got a charger from homebase for £12, see what happens. Also, the left HID headlight hardly comes on now...everything is going wrong on this car now! Haleks gear light broke, rear number plate light has a loose connection. Grrr

Could the HID going be connected? I have checked all connections, it only fires half the time and then goes off. Battery related for some reason?

Sounds to me you have a dud plate in the battery that buckles and causes a short when under load like cranking but otherwise is fine and seeing as a charging is gently compared to cranking hence saying its charged run it to a local garage from a drop test that will then give u a difinative answer most good garages shoukd do it free of charge

Cool man, i've just ordered a new battery off ebay for £45. Should be ok.

I noticed in the last few months that sometimes my digital fuel screen dims with the subwoofer sometimes, so i think the battery was always on the way out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.