DIY alloy refurb

Looking to do a quick refurb/spray on some alloys.

Last time I did this I they were already sandblasted which made the whole process very easy. Just a quick fiill, undercoat and spray. Looking to so something similar to tidy them up the rather large pile of alloys in my shed but they are still "finished" surface anybody know how I can get a similar prep surface using sanding? I do have a small electric sander. What grade paper etc etc?????

I just did this with my 5 spokes except I powder coated mine.

I can honestly say I will pay for blasting next time.

If you do decide to sand them and paint over what you've got scrap the sander idea. Elbow grease all the way.

I wanted to go back to bare metal so I used a twist knot, cup and straight drill attachments brush.

This removed 80% of the 15coats of paint. :rolleyes:

From there a bloody good coat with nitromorse.

From there I used 4 * 80 grit flap disks again for the drill and a dremmel to get into the awkward places and along the lip.

It took approx 40hrs to get to smoothing down.

From there i used 120grit flap disks.

I don't think you'd have a smooth enough surface for paint though. You'd be hitting 800 territory and loads of extra time.

Just flatten the paint back Dave (assuming its not bubbling from metal nor oxidizing otherwise you hit the above process).

:thumbs:

Any thing corroded i use a wire brush in a drill..can get lots of different sizes..

Cheers for that buddy, why not power tools???? To harsh???

The alloys in question are chromed

Where are the wheels from? :lol: The 80,s

Any thing corroded i use a wire brush in a drill..can get lots of different sizes..

Where are the wheels from? :lol: The 80,s

No but prob the 90s

Image0021-1.jpg

this actually :lol: :lol:

Then I got another 9 of these bad boys to do

171552.jpg

Edited by Ghoulscout

No idea on the Chroming... I'm not a chromosexual :lol:

I used powertools a drill...

A sander won't get to where you want to go.

I am watching this one with interest as I want to refurb my rims. Not sure whether to do it myself or get them done by a company!

Depends on the finish/what you're looking for. :thumbs:

Depends on the finish/what you're looking for. :thumbs:

x2 This is my set of CS alloys that I had pro sprayed a couple of years ago

SL270004.jpg

Before

SL270006.jpg

SL270009.jpg

After

Currently on my gen 4 track car. Yes I know they arnt worth anything but I want to keep them looking like that as they are mint and i dont want to race on them.

Heres my DIY attempt on the wheels on my 5

101_1298.jpg

before

083508.jpg

After

No where near as good as the CS wheels but it does the job. They were already sandblasted though which is the bit Im worried about

BTW can anybody here photoshop the black gen 5 please???

Kittii is thinking satin black wheels but the side of the spokes in Ford velvet purple or similar.????

Edited by Ghoulscout

Hmmm, in that case I need to find someone in the Surrey ish area at a decent price and a set of wheels mine can sit on while mine are being done!

I would if. Ihadn't just bought a blaster Lmfao.

Hmmm, in that case I need to find someone in the Surrey ish area at a decent price and a set of wheels mine can sit on while mine are being done!

Thats one of the reasons Im up to 13 gen 7 alloys :lol: :lol:

That and its cheaper to buy a set of 4 gen 7 alloys with legal tyres than it is to buy 1 and a half new tyres :P

for the time and effort involved in sanding alloys back to a decent surface you could just drop them at you local blasters and pay him £50 to do them on the side, then painting is a doddle :D

Shaun.........that's a fantastic job you've done on your wheels! :thumbs:

I have to be honest I'm too lazy to go to all that preperation work........ :blush:

Cheers Bri,

They where done with the wire brush in the drill.Then filler primer, top coat and clear coat

Life will be much simpler now has i have a sand blaster.Not had chance to use it yet though but will in the spring with 2 sets of wheels to refurb

Life will be much simpler now has i have a sand blaster.Not had chance to use it yet though but will in the spring with 2 sets of wheels to refurb

did you buy one or make your own? im thinking about a blasting cabinet for cleaning up all the stuff i take off

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.