import gear box

taffcelt

Hi again,got an N reg 2 ltr ST202 3s Celica Import and It looks like I need a replacement Gearbox.Had conflicting advice: 1-I can use any 2 ltr Celica gearbox,and 2: a guy looked at it and said it must be a 3sFE gearbox (this was on a tag on the chassis).Any advice please as I have to purchase one soon.Thanx,T.

3sfe & 3sge engines use the same s54 'box.

s54-06a means open diff

s54-06D means LSD

Most are open diff, & LSD 'boxes are usually way more expensive (unless the seller has no idea it has an LSD).

As long as the car from which your replacement box comes from says the same 'box code you'll be fine.

(There are other LSD 'boxes, but as you have a 3sfe engine, it's unlikely you'll have anything other than an S54).

Edited by Adex

3sfe & 3sge engines use the same s54 'box.

s54-06a means open diff

s54-06D means LSD

Most are open diff, & LSD 'boxes are usually way more expensive (unless the seller has no idea it has an LSD).

As long as the car from which your replacement box comes from says the same 'box code you'll be fine.

(There are other LSD 'boxes, but as you have a 3sfe engine, it's unlikely you'll have anything other than an S54).

pretty sure ratios are different in the 3sfe to 3sge ,pretty sure they fit though..

pretty sure ratios are different in the 3sfe to 3sge ,pretty sure they fit though..

you might be thinking on the 7afe which uses the c72 box or some crap like that :P

s54 box is a s54 box regardless if its in a 3sfe or a 3sge

I'll have to do a bit of digging, but I'm 99% sure I remember reading a thread on an MR2 forum talking about gearing options in which they came to the conclusion that they were all so similar (if not identical) that if you wanted to have taller gearing you had to use camry v6 'box parts.

Edited by Adex

So basically taffcelt, we've no idea with regards to ratios.

Some have heard they're different, some believe there's no difference.

All you need to know is....

He's called the stig!

Both 3sfe & 3sge s54 06a 'boxes will fit.

Thanks for all the help guys,think I'm going to take a chance and buy a gearbox and hope everything fits!Gonna put out an SOS to see if there's anyone in the Cardiff area who can help out-I'm useless with all things mechanical.Thanks again, T.

Thanks for all the help guys,think I'm going to take a chance and buy a gearbox and hope everything fits!Gonna put out an SOS to see if there's anyone in the Cardiff area who can help out-I'm useless with all things mechanical.Thanks again, T.

Would not know where to begin but just moved from England to Cardiff, would happily hold and undo things if you find someone who can help as would like to watch how it is done myself :) and say hello to some Cardiff people :)

It's the final drive that's different ratios..

* First Gear: 3.285:1

* Second Gear: 1.960:1

* Third Gear: 1.322:1

* Fourth Gear: 1.028:1

* Fifth Gear: 0.820:1

* Reverse Gear: 3.153:1

* Final Drive: 4.176:1 (EU Versions have a 3.944:1 Final Drive)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.