Clear Coat peeling problem on spoiler

Gimba

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

I have this on my spoiler, originally it was just something like a 2mmx2mm bubble, so I for some reason decided to scrape it with my nail, then I realized .. that was a bad idea

Is this the clear coat pealing off?, if so whats a way of fixing it. without hopefully having to sand down and re-spray it :/

Edited by Gimba

I have the same thing on mine but it's quite a bit bigger...

002.jpg

Called in at a body shop and was quoted 150 quid to respray the bumper which seems a bit drastic. To be honest I was going to leave it but if you guys think it will get worse I might try the clear coat thing.

Chris, yeah you test it on yours first :D lol then I'll decide if I should DIY :sofa:

Why did you get quoted for a bumper when yours is on the spoiler? lol

Ive put a coating of wax over it, hopefully that'll reduce the spread a bit

Edited by Gimba

Chris, yeah you test it on yours first :D lol then I'll decide if I should DIY :sofa:

Why did you get quoted for a bumper when yours is on the spoiler? lol

Ive put a coating of wax over it, hopefully that'll reduce the spread a bit

Er....yes, I meant the spoiler not the bumper. Mind you I was quoted an awful lot more than that to take a little dent out of the front wheel arch, another couple of minor parking dents in the doors, fix the spoiler and refurb all the alloys! Then I reminded myself that it's a ten year old motor and not a show car. None of these things are noticeable from any distance so I'll live with them and enjoy driving it.

Don't wait for me to fix my spoiler first. I'm a lazy bastard and probably won't get round to it until next year!

I'd try and sand off the lacquer about 3-5" round that, lightly sand around that patch of no laquer to dull the finish, mask up the area so you have sort of a foot square to spray in.

Try and gradient it in if you know what i mean and hopefully the two lacquers will blend better instead of a solid line. after it's all dry., go over the entire repair with 1500 wet and dry to get rid of any orange peel or crap then polish it up with a cutting compound!

Tip. if you're using rattlecans, leave them in a bucket of warm water for 20 mins beforehand and the paint will come out much smoother :)

Joe588 is rite you need to,make the area biger first or it will stand out like a sore thumb

It also needs to be feather edged in but very lightly to not go through the paint

A body shop wouldn't mess with it they would just do the whole spoiler.'

With the weather geting colder wet, and frost soon it will get worse so you realy need to do something with it even if it's just temp for the winter

I'd try and sand off the lacquer about 3-5" round that, lightly sand around that patch of no laquer to dull the finish, mask up the area so you have sort of a foot square to spray in.

Cheers for the tips joe. I'm going to try and do mine the next dry day off I get. What would you use to sand off the lacquer around the patch?

Use 800-1200grit to take the damaged lacquer out in the 3-5 inch area, sand back to the actual paint layer but don't go through it obviously or you'll need to spray colour too, then 1500 to key the good lacquer in the rest, don't take too much out but enough to make it completely matt. spray so the edge of the foot spraying area hardly gets any paint, then the middle gets the most. build up lightly then once you have enough paint in, let it dry and sand the entire thing completely flat with 1500, so it's all matt and smooth like a blackboard. then just polish up!

Made a start this lunchtime by rubbing down the damaged lacquer as suggested. Sun was out and hardly any wind so I masked it up and got a couple of layers of paint on. Then the feckin heavens opened and I have no garage! Covered it best I can but it looks like I'll be starting the whole process again another day!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.