How would you remedy this on my car?

Jim881

HI all,

Well since my calipers and wheels are away for refurb im trying to do some comsmetic fixes on my car.

As you can see from the picture the wheel arch has got some bits of what seems hard plastic missing.

I was after a few ideas on how to fix this as it makes the arches look messy.

1. Fill them with body filler, respray and laquer.

2. Carefully cut the whole lot off and sand the area, respray and laquer.

3. Remove it and see if i can order a new strip from Mr T.

Hopefully gonna be doing it tomorrow as long as the weather says nice !!

20120810_183002.jpg20120810_183009.jpg

Cheers Jim

Remove the lot carefully, try not to damage the paint, then go and purchase some tiger seal, some thin plastic and some paint thinners.

Cut a shallow "U" into the thin plastic and some kind of guide to run along the edge of the arch.

Then put the tiger seal around the arch where you removed the old seam sealer.

Then apply some thinners with a lint free cloth, run the plastic over it with the shallow "U" cut into it...this will mould the tiger seal into the same shape as the stuff you removed. Leave it to dry.

Mask off the paintwork and spray the new seal the same colour as the car, when its dry job done....rsist the temptation to polish it for a month, then you can set to it.

It's the same stuff on the edges of the doors. I scraped aloof mine back and sanded it smooth. Then base paint with a good metal sealant before prepping and respray.

It's stupid Toyota uses this craps. It's ugly and gets brittle with age. Also tramps water causing it to rust over time.

Well ive taken some better photos by peeling a little off and it looks like weve had water ingress!!! Still solid though so might of caught it in time.

20120810_203815.jpg20120810_203823.jpg

What do reckon to cleaning it up and filling the gap with sealant. Would this do? Sealant

Then prime, spray, laquer then fitting a wheel arch rubber strip to it? (Like this I presume shocks? Strip)

thats like it, that way it gives it a little protection from stone chipping, its that or if you sand then stone chip the edge and then re paint in the colour of car that way it will give it a little further protection and keep it hidden.

OK, what do you think of this??

1. Remove old seal.

2 Remove all rust (with hammerite Kurust) and clean up and fill gap with sealant (still unsure which one to use, but was gonna use a silicon sealant from halfords)

3. Couple of coats of Hammerite stonechip shield (grey)

4. Paint and then laquer

5. Order a rubber strip for civic to fit over.

Well ive done my shopping this morning. I was gonna buy some seam sealer but decided to go for Tiger caus ive got some side skirts to put on soon.

Gonna have a crack at doing it this afternoon. I will take some pictures on the way and try and produce a bit of a guide in case anyone else needs to do the same. (As long as it all goes ok :))

20120811_122855.jpg

Just thought id give you an update....

Firstly I removed the old seal. I found the best way to do this was to run along the edge with a stanley and then use a small flat bladed screwdriver. Chiselling away the on the edge first (into the vehicle) Then running up the seam to remove whats left.

20120811_131714.jpg

20120811_131724.jpg

After I gave it a quick sand down and applied some hammerite kurst to the to the rusty parts. Once done gave it another sand down, wiped and masked off.

20120811_140738.jpg

I then applied some tiger seal to my finger and rubbed into the gap between the panels, then applied seal to the whole surface and smoothed down with an old credit card (found this easier as it is quite flexible)

Once that was done I removed the masking tape while the seal was still plyable.

As you can see it has turned out quite nice. Gonna wait till the sealant dries and then fill in the edge wirth more sealant just to smooth it off.

20120811_142032.jpg

Gonna have to wait till tomorrow now until I start painting it.

Masked off this morning after the tiger seal had cured and I must admit im chuffed with the way it has turned out. Needs a little clean up around the edges as the laquer soaked though the masking tape but i can do once the laquer had hardnened.

20120812_142342.jpg20120812_155323.jpg

Cheers for the advice guys. Really appreciated!!!

Jim

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.