Tyre question

Hi All,

Wanted some new tyres for the front (Uniroyal Rainsport 2) but have just found out I'm currently running 215/40/R17 but the Gen 7 should have 215/45/R17.

My question is does having the 45 profile make a HUGE difference? If so looks like I'll be getting 4 new tyres as I am assuming you can't run 215/45/R17 on the front and 215/40/R17 on the rears?

Thanks

You could run 40's on the front and 45's on the rear and then get the 40's replaced later with 45's when they need changing

Difference i found is that the ride is better, smoother with 45's

Edited by arizona

Anybody gone from 45 to 40s and noticed a huge difference?

Thanks!

The Gen 7 should have 205/45/17.

You would notice a difference in acceleration as the two sizes you mention are either side of 205/45 as regards rolling radius. If you don't mind a slower 0-60, the 215/45 will offer more comfort as mentioned above, and fill the arches a little better. As Arizona mentioned, unless you have a face lift TS or GT, you could run the larger profile on the rear, which is exactly what I do.

Anybody gone from 45 to 40s and noticed a huge difference?

Thanks!

I have 40's on the current wheels, had 45's on the previous ones.

The ride is noticably harsher on 40's and as I live in Scotland, every journey involves potholes. have buckled 2 wheels recently. getting them fixed next week and will be shod in new 215 45 17 rubbers.

40's do look cool, but car also sits too low for the numerous speedhumps around here, seem to remember a calculation of 7mm lower....

its a toss up between cool and bank balance!!

Does anyone have pictures of how 215/40 vs 215/45 look?

I'm looking getting some 17x8 wheels and know that standard 205/45 isn't an option.

I'm looking getting some 17x8 wheels and know that standard 205/45 isn't really an option.

the 45's will also give the effect of filling the arches better and 215 gives your rims a bit more protection

makes of tyres vary as to whats available but 215/45 would be my first choice , failing that 205/45 is perfectly fine tbh i doubt you'll notice much difference with the drive.

EDITED - Hadnt read post properly 8's i'd missed, ignore what i said 225 or 215 i believe - but still 45's better

Edited by arizona

I'm looking getting some 17x8 wheels and know that standard 205/45 isn't an option.

I'm looking getting some 17x8 wheels and know that standard 205/45 isn't really an option.

225/45 for 8J wheels i believe pal.

215 is minimum width, this should provide minimum if any stretch. I'm sure I've seen pictures of this setup on a Celica, and it looked perfectly normal.

You are correct in saying 225 would be ideal though. I confess I've not looked at what is available to get close to a stock rolling radius or if there would be any rubbing issues with the extra width.

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/equivalency-tables-advice.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.