Does the location of ConeFilter + ColdFeed make difference?

My cone filter is right nx to engine and i hav no cold feed.

I took it to a garage today and was told it makes absolutely no difference to my car..

..unless it has a turbo.

So does anyone has any experience thy do?

It is all to do with the density of air, the colder the air, the more dense it is. The denser the air, the more oxygen it contains. The more oxygen in the engine, the more fuel can be burnt. The more fuel combusting, the more power produced.

So yeah, it matters, and don't trust that garage!

Yea it does...

My old golf, put a cone on no feed, made a hell of a noise but disnt pull lile it did. Its just sucking hot air. Give it a decent feed and you'l see the difference. My golf also had terrible mpg when it was fitted on its own... Engines run efficiently on cool air.. Hot air is no good

My gen 5 has a cone, standard feed from the front wing and does ok. Am planning a bumper feed tho.

Can't get access to youtube at the moment, but search for mightcarmods. They did a mythbusting video to test if aftermarket cone filters actually made a difference to power. The results were either the same as standard airbox or less power, it's really just for the roar.

If its a gen 7 it makes no difference apart initial pull away. The exhaust manifold is at the back and engine is angled backwards trapping hot air near manifold hence the actual functional bonnet scoop to help keep it coolet

However even at slow speeds the bumper lets in sufficient air to dissipate any warming up of the engine bay.

It duz make a big difference mate .

Needs to be as far as pos from the engine over by the wing would be best with a cold air feed

Colder air meens more power not to the degree that you would notice a big difference but it's like Hou said

You don't want to be draging hot air into a hot engine it needs to breath

Thks guys - I will need to think about it - I do think adding a coldfeed should make a difference - not sure if moving the conefilter will make a massive diff since still inside the engine compartment.....

I had mine sitting right in front of the feed from the original airbox going into the front wing,but a shield would have helped no end.Its why ive gone back to a panel box ,connected to the proper feed that goes into the wing on the passenger side of my car Wayne,with a K&N panel filter and ive ensured its directly venting to the outside.Ive also sealed up the connections properly so i only get the outside air feeding into the box.Ben is having my cone filter,but he will probably end up doing it with a feed or a shield,plus he also has the bonnet from Richs TSS car Trinity which has custom vents to keep the underbonnet temps down,which will help as well.Doesnt really matter if your car is turbo or not,if you breathe in hot air you wont get any advantage from a cone filter until you isolate it from less oxygenated air but they look and sound nice.

I had mine sitting right in front of the feed from the original airbox going into the front wing,but a shield would have helped no end.Its why ive gone back to a panel box ,connected to the proper feed that goes into the wing on the passenger side of my car Wayne,with a K&N panel filter and ive ensured its directly venting to the outside.Ive also sealed up the connections properly so i only get the outside air feeding into the box.Ben is having my cone filter,but he will probably end up doing it with a feed or a shield,plus he also has the bonnet from Richs TSS car Trinity which has custom vents to keep the underbonnet temps down,which will help as well.Doesnt really matter if your car is turbo or not,if you breathe in hot air you wont get any advantage from a cone filter until you isolate it from less oxygenated air but they look and sound nice.

Thks Derren.

It does seem the stock airbox is best, but I just love my cone filter sound - so the only option is I may go for the coldfeed - possibly move the location.....

I think the biggest difference is going to be the change in the length of the inlet system, a filter stuck right on the throttle body is going to reduce the low end power. May help with top end HP but you don't spend a lot of time up at 6k rpm normally.

I've found the best results are with an enclosed cone filter with a good total length of ducting.

Still makes the nice noise as well.

Sorry to go slightly OT

Ive recently gone from having a Cold Air Intake where the cone filter sat in behind the offside fog light to having my stock air box and the difference in performance is very noticeable. It feels less responsive and a bit slower. Will definatly be refitted the air intake very soon.

Even with a cold feed you still need to move the fillter Wayne . It's stuck rite by the side of the engine at the mo in a area that gets very hot

Idealy as far from the engine as pos with heatshield & cold feed

I think the biggest difference is going to be the change in the length of the inlet system, a filter stuck right on the throttle body is going to reduce the low end power. May help with top end HP but you don't spend a lot of time up at 6k rpm normally.

I've found the best results are with an enclosed cone filter with a good total length of ducting.

Still makes the nice noise as well.

Hav thought abt that.....does it mean it will suck in less air since enclosed?

Sorry to go slightly OT

Ive recently gone from having a Cold Air Intake where the cone filter sat in behind the offside fog light to having my stock air box and the difference in performance is very noticeable. It feels less responsive and a bit slower. Will definatly be refitted the air intake very soon.

Interestin....i thought the bog standard airbox would b best for performance (bottom to mid rev)...

...but cone better with top rev (if had cold feed)?

Even with a cold feed you still need to move the fillter Wayne . It's stuck rite by the side of the engine at the mo in a area that gets very hot

Idealy as far from the engine as pos with heatshield & cold feed

Maybe...but tht garage put me right off!

So mayb he was completely wrong!

Does an enclosed cone-filter does a better job thn:

1. Semi-enclosed cone filter

2. Heat shield around exposed cone filter?

Hav thought abt that.....does it mean it will suck in less air since enclosed?

Does an enclosed cone-filter does a better job thn:

1. Semi-enclosed cone filter

2. Heat shield around exposed cone filter?

I think in an enclosed system the filter is going to be the main restriction to airflow and will be the 'rate limiting step' so to speak.

If you don't want to go to the expense of an enclosed system I'd be looking to move the filter as far from the engine as possible and adding a cold air feed of some sort. I'm not sure how effective heat shielding would be as the air round the filter will still be hot if you see what I mean.

I think in an enclosed system the filter is going to be the main restriction to airflow and will be the 'rate limiting step' so to speak.

If you don't want to go to the expense of an enclosed system I'd be looking to move the filter as far from the engine as possible and adding a cold air feed of some sort. I'm not sure how effective heat shielding would be as the air round the filter will still be hot if you see what I mean.

I thk thts a good idea too.

Shaun also mentioned i can add an additional coldfeed from under my battery = 2 coldfeeds :-)

Thks!

I have a 45 degree 63mm ID hose that I bought in error if you need one, it's a decent length. Can't remember if the ST162 has a 64mm throttle body or a 70mm like the ST202.

Shaun's spot on. I should really stop skim reading, I missed his post and repeated his advice. Doh!

I have a 45 degree 63mm ID hose that I bought in error if you need one, it's a decent length. Can't remember if the ST162 has a 64mm throttle body or a 70mm like the ST202.

Shaun's spot on. I should really stop skim reading, I missed his post and repeated his advice. Doh!

Cheers mate.

For now i am just gonna leave it up to whichever garage is goin to do the work.

So best for thm to source the parts...

But thks for the offer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.