HID headlights

Thought I would correct a thread that has been doing the rounds on this website for quite a long time with regards to

the fitting of HID headlights to earlier generation cars.

The wording of VOSA ( Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) for England, Scotland and Wales states the following

"A car with HID lights MAY also have headlight washers and self levelling lights which must be checked and be in working order if fitted".

The important word here is MAY and not MUST, so HID headlights are legal on older vehicles if the above requirements are met.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings with regards this issue. ;)

Can't see why its a grey area with that wording.

Mine has passed every year for the last five years at my MOT station and in fact he asked me for information on best place where to get them from

as several of his customers have made enquiries to him about them. Provided your washers work no problems he tells me.

If you're lucky enough to have a uk spec gen 6 you have washers anyways BUT with that being said a MOT tester said to me that if anyone does pull you the chances of a policeman finding the self levelling devices are basically nil so you can get away with it as long as you're not stupid with how bright they are :)

I've had 8000k and 6000k in my old cars and the 6k were ideal :)

had my 6000k ones in now for 4 years and passed mot everytime,i have uk model gt which has washers also,6000k is a good level of brightness,not blinding but a good improvement overall,no ones ever flash me because they are to bright in 4 years which im happy about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.