fuel in my oil

checked the dipstick, when wiped it off oil stinks of fuel. Not sure how long its been doing it and how much damage it has already done to the engine.....i think its gonna be a leaking injector but will have to see.....haven't got the cash or time to get it to a garage for about 2 weeks though

another sign is, engines done 1k miles and oil is filthy black already which is apparrently a telltale sign?

Edited by Mek

140 injectors are cheap mate and easy to change - do you have the ones from your old engine though?

yeah, there were no injectors in the engine i got from nix so had to salvage the ones from my old one.

how expensive are injectors? ive got some new seals on order from MrT should be with toyota in a couple days

once i have it in the garage and checking out if its the seals i may very well get on to you about them. from what i know when he trasnferred them over the injectors were fine; so hoping it may be the seals.

can you hold 4 back for me until next weekend and ill get back to you? :)

Wouldn't a leaky injector just cause overfueling?

Yes it would.

To be honest checking it with the dipstick isn’t really going to tell you much, if you had a leaky injector the car would run rough and wouldn’t leak whilst not running. The only way you would get fuel in the oil is if you had excessive over fuelling and bore washed the engine which would point to ecu injector timing. I take it you have dropped the oil and let it stand? If so how much fuel is sitting on top of the oil?

I looked at a Gen6 a few weeks ago where the guy said he could smell fuel in his oil, turned out to be nothing wrong and just the normal smell of the oil.

Have you any codes flash up? Dorris

Wouldn't a leaky injector just cause overfueling?

Yes it would.

To be honest checking it with the dipstick isn’t really going to tell you much, if you had a leaky injector the car would run rough and wouldn’t leak whilst not running. The only way you would get fuel in the oil is if you had excessive over fuelling and bore washed the engine which would point to ecu injector timing. I take it you have dropped the oil and let it stand? If so how much fuel is sitting on top of the oil?

I looked at a Gen6 a few weeks ago where the guy said he could smell fuel in his oil, turned out to be nothing wrong and just the normal smell of the oil.

Have you any codes flash up? Dorris

i had read that if the oil smellled of fuel it was a leaking injector as a possible cause of it....what else could cause the oil to smell of fuel? haven't dropped the oil out as i actually don't know how (:/) advice? :P

If the Oil is working properly it will be black.

Lets backtrack a bit.

Is the car down on power?

1k Miles ago, was the Oil nice and clean? ie replaced

Can you do an Oil Change yourself?

nah, the engine isn't down on power; how noticeable would the loss of power be? yeah the oil was changed 1k miles ago when the engine was switched over and was clean and new.

An Oil change is very easy to do.

There must be some guides somewhere online or find a local member who will come over and talk you through it.

It's a 20-30 min job, a hour job if you stop for a cuppa and bacon butty as the oil drains out.

Preparation is what counts, tools, washer, filter, waste oil collection tub/can, Oil, ramps?

The Oil is made from would you believe OIL and so is petrol ;) so it might smell a bit like fuel, also if the piston rings are worn you might get some fuel seeping past them when stationary. Was a compression test done on the new engine?

It may sound kinky but have you smelt oil from other cars to compare?

Mek. I think you are worrying over nothing.

My settlements too, if you had an injector down and not atomising it would be very obvious the engine would be difficult to start, miss fire and will feel very flat.

Not idea who told you that if the oil goes black after a thousand miles but I think they been sniffing something they shouldn’t, depending what came out and what residue is left in the engine oil can go black near on instantly, as long as you stick to the routine maintenance and don’t let any faults escalate then your engine will go for many, many miles. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

i did a full oil change earlier in the week and the oil that came out didn't smell of fuel at all; checked the new oil today and it smells a little bit of fuel so im a bit confused lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.