Steps to Prevent Rust

chan110

Hi,

Might be in the wrong area (am sure management will move it if it is).

Weather has turned nasty over the past couple of weeks - I don't know why, it happened the week I bought my vert and it snowed! :(

Anyway, after the POLL that implied most forum members take their car out rain or shine, I am inclined to as well.

But, if our cars (esp. the older ones) are not good at rust prevention....

Can I obtain some tips on prevention measures?

Like what to use and where to apply it and how often?

Thks! :please:

A good underseal for the underside floor and arches . Then someting like waxoil spray on for the inside of doors and remove the iner boot covers and spray down inside the rear arches there to :D

Sure the other guys will have more tips to

por15 is a good call but very time consuming. best way to go though as you should only need to do it once.

there are companies out there that will re-underseal the car from you and/or waxoil it for you but i all ways see this as a temp measure as it needs toping up every now and then.

andy

Every year or so I get a couple of cans of spray grease and empty them into the voids inside the rear wheel arches - and also down the gaps on the underside of the bonnet that go to the leading edge.

Also make sure any seams are well covered inside the wheels arches to prevent water ingress there.

A thing I used to do was get some fibreglass compound and spread it along the inside lip of arches - and anywhere else there's a sill created by a fold or seam - to prevent build up of salty muck there and protect exposed metal that you don't usually see until it bubbles through on the outside.

Another old trick is to use your old engine oil. Mix a bit of grease in for good measure and paint it on the underside of the car. Won't fill leaky seams, but is a good protector of exposed surfaces (witness the nice clean metal when you clean caked engine oil off bits of your engine!) ;)

Every year or so I get a couple of cans of spray grease and empty them into the voids inside the rear wheel arches - and also down the gaps on the underside of the bonnet that go to the leading edge.

Also make sure any seams are well covered inside the wheels arches to prevent water ingress there.

A thing I used to do was get some fibreglass compound and spread it along the inside lip of arches - and anywhere else there's a sill created by a fold or seam - to prevent build up of salty muck there and protect exposed metal that you don't usually see until it bubbles through on the outside.

Another old trick is to use your old engine oil. Mix a bit of grease in for good measure and paint it on the underside of the car. Won't fill leaky seams, but is a good protector of exposed surfaces (witness the nice clean metal when you clean caked engine oil off bits of your engine!) ;)

Top tips angus!

Where do u get those fibreglasd compounds from?

Where do u get those fibreglasd compounds from?

Um, body filler kind of stuff IIRC. It's like semi-liquid gunge that hardens - you can use it with sheets of mesh-like material to patch up big holes in bodywork. If you can't get it in a car shop, try somewhere that deals with boats. ;)

Bear in mind that a lot of bodywork rust problems will come from inside the car rather than outside surfaces, so you want to try and stop water getting to places where it'll cause rust which you can't see till it's too late.

Similarly, underneath the car you're looking for nooks and crannies where gunge can accumulate, or get inside the panels. It can be quite a revelation power-washing even in the wheel arches and finding out what it really looks like in there when all the years of caked mud are gone ... :lol:

Um, body filler kind of stuff IIRC. It's like semi-liquid gunge that hardens - you can use it with sheets of mesh-like material to patch up big holes in bodywork. If you can't get it in a car shop, try somewhere that deals with boats. ;)

Bear in mind that a lot of bodywork rust problems will come from inside the car rather than outside surfaces, so you want to try and stop water getting to places where it'll cause rust which you can't see till it's too late.

Similarly, underneath the car you're looking for nooks and crannies where gunge can accumulate, or get inside the panels. It can be quite a revelation power-washing even in the wheel arches and finding out what it really looks like in there when all the years of caked mud are gone ... :lol:

All right, mate!

I do try not to drive unless it is absolutely dry and grit-free on the road.

But, sometimes I suppose u can get caught out - and members here seems to be very happy driving in all weathers!

Thks again! :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.