My Power Hood Dying...

chan110

My Gen4 JDM power hood seems to be getting slower and slower to open/close :(

Initially, it open and close within seconds - a quieting whirring noise (it uses liquid hydraulics?).

Then, it failed to close the last 1cm - so I manually open the liquid hydraulic by turning a knob (it sort of releases pressure) - this allows me to operate the hood by hand to close the last 1cm.

Now, there is a liquid squishing noise from the driver rear passenger side when I open/close the hood.

Also, now it takes almost forever to close/open the hood.

Anyone have a similar liquid hydraulic power hood and advise? :please:

Thks

Hope you get it sorted wayne . Sorry can't help on that mate :(

Will try and see what i can find out on the net mate :D

Cheers mate! :thumbs:

No rush - I can still operate the hood manually - and will be arranging it to be seen by Martin King in the next week or so.

I took a look in my vert manual covering the gen 6 roof to see if was any similarities that could help but i think they must work differently , also hope you can get it sorted but if it works on hydraulics then i can only think that there must be a pump (something like power steering pump) that is faulty causing it to operate slowly and would also explain the noise

Does sound like arizonas on to something there

U know me - I'm not a hands-on person! :D

Just waiting for the previous owner to come back from his boat-trip to see if he has any ideas too.

Else, hopefully Martin King will get to the bottom of it :)

Can you see where the leak is?

No - I didn't want to operate the hood anymore in case it gets stuck.

I guess from the squishing noise before and the way the wet patches look below - it must be from around the new translucent tube stuck to the black struct....

I might have another look another day and try to tighten it myself.....also I need to find out what fluid to top-up with!

Looks like it could be a relatively easy fix, the white pipe as you said does look new so it may have been done a little while ago because of a split in the pipe but not sealed properly and has been gradually leaking since.

Rather than just try and tighten i woud undo it first. Looks like standard gas/plumbing fittings so if it hasnt been sealed properly to start with tightening wont help. Check for an olive (o ring) on the pipe or red looking sealant on the threads of fittings. Would replace olive (o ring) and reseal before tighten up but dont overtighten.

The fluid i would imagine is ordinary hydraulic fluid like we would use on power steering but dont quote me on that one - can you see what colour it is from the leaking? red?

Edited by arizona

Looks like it could be a relatively easy fix, the white pipe as you said does look new so it may have been done a little while ago because of a split in the pipe but not sealed properly and has been gradually leaking since.

Rather than just try and tighten i woud undo it first. Looks like standard gas/plumbing fittings so if it hasnt been sealed properly to start with tightening wont help. Check for an olive (o ring) on the pipe or red looking sealant on the threads of fittings. Would replace olive (o ring) and reseal before tighten up but dont overtighten.

The fluid i would imagine is ordinary hydraulic fluid like we would use on power steering but dont quote me on that one - can you see what colour it is from the leaking? red?

Oh no, I am no plumber :(

Not sure if I undo it - it will just pour out all the fluid?

I will try to operate when the sun comes out again (sun chaser :D ) and watch it whilst it is operating.

The fluid to me does looks clear and smells of engine oil.

Dont operate it without fluid in in case you damage the pump, i dont know whether it will but i wouldn't chance it.

Put some old towel down to catch any but i dont think there will be much as it looks pretty empty

Maybe it would be worth running it into your local garage to get them to fix that if you're not confident? A phone call or two to replacement car hood companies or classic car restorer company might be able to source you the correct fluid for it beforehand :)

Dont operate it without fluid in in case you damage the pump, i dont know whether it will but i wouldn't chance it.

Put some old towel down to catch any but i dont think there will be much as it looks pretty empty

Maybe it would be worth running it into your local garage to get them to fix that if you're not confident? A phone call or two to replacement car hood companies or classic car restorer company might be able to source you the correct fluid for it beforehand :)

ok - thks for the tips!

I will not operate it.

Would open/close manually do any damage?

I kno my back was nearlly damage yesterday when i did open/close by hand!

Previous owner did mention abt using classic car engine oil to top up.

ok - thks for the tips!

I will not operate it.

Would open/close manually do any damage?

I kno my back was nearlly damage yesterday when i did open/close by hand!

Previous owner did mention abt using classic car engine oil to top up.

Would of thought manually wouldnt hurt (apart from you :lol: )

seems a strange one to me that it would be engine oil, surely would need to be hydraulic fluid of some sort :shrug: but i'm only guessing

Was there another forum i saw mentioned where there might be more gen 4 verts?

Would of thought manually wouldnt hurt (apart from you :lol: )

seems a strange one to me that it would be engine oil, surely would need to be hydraulic fluid of some sort :shrug: but i'm only guessing

Was there another forum i saw mentioned where there might be more gen 4 verts?

Maybe engine oil work for the previous owner and cheaper?

Did find this using Transmission Oil for a Alfa roof:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=hydraulic+oil+roof&_sacat=0&_odkw=hydraulic+oil&_osacat=0&_from=R40

Dunno abt another gen4 verts forum.

But there is ST162.net - I might try there....

Found this..........

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33739161d7

but yes st162.net was the one i was thinking of

Thks!

Sounds cheap - not sure 150ml will be enough (judging by the size of my hydraulic oil bottle).

Am a bit worry if it is the right grade - been researching on here saying becareful of cheap oils: http://www.benzworld.org

Interesting the Benz forum have a lot of problems with cylinders - I am still trying to work out what they are and if my car have them?

If they are the auto-latches to secure the roof when shut, then I don't think I have cylinders since I manually latch shut them myself...

Edited by chan110

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.