Which Outdoor Waterproof Cover for Vert?

Hello,

I am undecided whether to take my car to my parents in Bristol over the Easter 4 days public holiday.

With the weather being unpredictable recently and possible forecast for snow as well, as well as a potential fuel strike,

I am inclined to take my Subaru Legacy 4x4 running on LPG to Bristol instead.

Anyway, I was looking at this:

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/CoverConvertibleCarTopCover.html

Was wondering if anyone can recommend me a 1/2 cover for my vert?

Does anyone also know what size I should get (if Gen4 not listed)?

Many thks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a full car cover on mine during the week as I only use it weekends. I think my last one was an ebay special but paid about £50-£60 double layers are the best as its waterproof and soft inner lining so it will not scratch the paintwork. I had a cheap one before that and it froze to the car during winter and tore, don't know about half car covers tbh

Well, looks like its defo gonna be poor weather over easter then.

Not good for my Gen4 :(

Have ordered a 1/2 cover from Hamilton Classics now - will update here to let folks know what its like.

There is a nice one for BMW 1series with side-mirror cover too for £40 - but the Hamilton one sounds better for me baby :thumbs:

What cover did you get wayne ? i just ordered a full 1 for the celica 1985-1990 :D

coz i ll be driving the gen4 rain or shine (apart from snow - classics dont like salt/grit)

I got a 1/2 cover just for the hood.

Someone here say if u go for a full cover make sure:

1. Its specific for your car

2. Its got a fleece internal lining

I think i will do what arizona duz put some old sheets over first then the waterproof cover to stop any scffing on the paint or soft top :D It should fit it's for 85-90 celicas . Ho and i am defo going to pick the car up next week just got to make a phone call now to rearange it ;)

I think i will do what arizona duz put some old sheets over first then the waterproof cover to stop any scffing on the paint or soft top :D It should fit it's for 85-90 celicas . Ho and i am defo going to pick the car up next week just got to make a phone call now to rearange it ;)

Yee-ha! :)

Look after it on the way back - road conditions might still not be idea....and pics pics pics!

Well it's about a 2&1/2hr drive each way so not to bad . Was a taxi driver for 15 years and drove up and down to london quite offten it's a bit of a place to drive around . What hapened to your avatar mate now it's blank ? :o

Well it's about a 2&1/2hr drive each way so not to bad . Was a taxi driver for 15 years and drove up and down to london quite offten it's a bit of a place to drive around . What hapened to your avatar mate now it's blank ? :o

Yeah, seeing everyone had the same RED pose from the front, I thought I change it to my nice alloys....but the site just wouldn't allow it.

I tried JPG and PNG - didn't work.

Post a HELP on the GENERAL forum, but someone decided it was better in the MISC OFF CHAT section - not sure anyone will see it there!

Any ideas?

Well, better than mine 5.5hrs journey from Cardiff with 3hrs stuck in traffic.

If weather conditions are good, u gonna have one hell of a fantastic ride back - leave the hood down!

i found covers blow around alot , if they manage to stay on then the motion of the wind blowing them rubs down your paint screwing it up massivley , thisis why lined are worth the extra £ ,

other issue is water , cover keeps it off yeah but no , water rises from under the car and rots the poor thing , after no time at all water will get into the car and stay there creating at the very least mold but can rot out the roof and the floor plus do interesting things to the elecs

me i dont bother , its rained on and given the degree of wax it is looking rather good concidering its not had a wash for 6+ months

i found covers blow around alot , if they manage to stay on then the motion of the wind blowing them rubs down your paint screwing it up massivley , thisis why lined are worth the extra £ ,

other issue is water , cover keeps it off yeah but no , water rises from under the car and rots the poor thing , after no time at all water will get into the car and stay there creating at the very least mold but can rot out the roof and the floor plus do interesting things to the elecs

me i dont bother , its rained on and given the degree of wax it is looking rather good concidering its not had a wash for 6+ months

And if u have a vert with a leaking roof?

And if u have a vert with a leaking roof?

Hence I was saying to Shaun I paid a bit more for what sound like a better cover - though there is no guarantee until I receive it.

It has side straps that hook under the body as well as ones that hook onto wheels (most cover only got hooks for wheels) and 'suppose' to be breathable.....only time will tell ....

Edited by chan110

then you remove the headlining , apply a bt of tape alone the bit its leaking , then using a leather needle and black thread sow the tape in so its going nowhere , no more leaks and no difference to the roof looks

me i brought another roof from america

roof002.jpg

roof001.jpg

roof004.jpg

i did think should i get a few made up and flog them out

as for the hooked covers , they flop about massively , we used a rope to hold it down to stop it ripping in the end

Edited by izzzzythedog

then you remove the headlining , apply a bt of tape alone the bit its leaking , then using a leather needle and black thread sow the tape in so its going nowhere , no more leaks and no difference to the roof looks

me i brought another roof from america

i did think should i get a few made up and flog them out

as for the hooked covers , they flop about massively , we used a rope to hold it down to stop it ripping in the end

Lol - after all that and u simply bought a new one ?!!! :lol:

Sorry, brain-dead can u run thru that again?

I am not sure how the top is made waterproof?

Is the outer cloth waterproof?

Or the under layer (head lining)?

If mend the headlining, does the cloth leak not run into the inside of the car on the edges of the headlning (if I don't mend the cloth as well)?

Where did u get your new one from?

I may need one too (mine's a JDM Gen4)

What car(s) have u got?

you peel back the headlineing so you can get to the underside of the roof , you use 2 inch vynal tape and cover any holes , problem is the tape doesnt stick easily and tends to drop off so you then sow the tape to the roof making a perminant and invisible repair , the tapes water proof so no water will now get in

i got my roof from america , the roof on the cars not bad at all except someone has made 2 repairs which given the paints mint detracts from the over all , i paid around the 150 quid which was luck of the draw , got it from ebay , takes a bt of finding but there normaily around the 180 mark ( for the 5 ) and 250-450 in the uk so worth the trouble

my cars are all toyotas

glanza V

hiace super custom ( yes really , daft name )

gen 5 st185 gt4 with a friggin big turbo lashed nto the end of it

gen 5 convertible thing ...... its a vert but with full gt4 running gear and engine , sometimes it even works

you peel back the headlineing so you can get to the underside of the roof , you use 2 inch vynal tape and cover any holes , problem is the tape doesnt stick easily and tends to drop off so you then sow the tape to the roof making a perminant and invisible repair , the tapes water proof so no water will now get in

i got my roof from america , the roof on the cars not bad at all except someone has made 2 repairs which given the paints mint detracts from the over all , i paid around the 150 quid which was luck of the draw , got it from ebay , takes a bt of finding but there normaily around the 180 mark ( for the 5 ) and 250-450 in the uk so worth the trouble

my cars are all toyotas

glanza V

hiace super custom ( yes really , daft name )

gen 5 st185 gt4 with a friggin big turbo lashed nto the end of it

gen 5 convertible thing ...... its a vert but with full gt4 running gear and engine , sometimes it even works

lol - still brain-dead.

So, u sow the headlining (or the roof)?

If the roof, then dosen't the sewing thru the tape and thru the roof make it leak?

Nice cars! :thumbs:

I need to look up what a glanza is ...is it a Starlet?

No wayne like izzy said you peel back the headlining to get at the underside of the vinyl to aply the vinyl tape directly to the roof . You can use a sealer aswell to make sure you have no leaks . Like the stuff i showed you on ebay the stormsure sealer/glue :D along with stitching it on . It would look much beter than sewing it from the outside as the previous owner done on your roof . No disrespect mate as it wasn't you that done it :)

U know wot?

I just couldn't get my Avatar to work....

....I tried different formats and different sizes - nope! :blowup:

In the end, I thought what the hell, just put any ridiculous gif from the internet and found this......and it works! :thumbs:

Enjoy! :lol:

No wayne like izzy said you peel back the headlining to get at the underside of the vinyl to aply the vinyl tape directly to the roof . You can use a sealer aswell to make sure you have no leaks . Like the stuff i showed you on ebay the stormsure sealer/glue :D along with stitching it on . It would look much beter than sewing it from the outside as the previous owner done on your roof . No disrespect mate as it wasn't you that done it :)

Wait - <Wayne coming round from brain dead.....>

The roof is actually multi-layer?

I looked at one of the stitching from the outside....then located it on the inside, and its just a single layer cloth?!!!

I understand abt the glue u recommended from ebay (apply from outside) or as u just said apply from inside and then a tape on top.

But, if I sew the tape into the cloth, the sewing must go thru to the outside?!!! Hence u still see the stitching?

I guess, I am just to old (or too blokey with all this sewing 'wumin' stuff) lol :lol:

I have a solution!

Just GLUE from inside and then tape on (glue will hold tape) - no stitching!

Waterproof, and nothing to see from outside apart from a small slit/tear :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.