Lifetime of auxillary belt

I know there is a few threads on how to replace them but just wondering how long they are supposed to last (2004 Gen 7 TSport).

I think mine was replaced when I had it serviced at ~70K miles back in Aug 2010. Now on 83k miles. Had another service was at ~80k in Oct 2011 when car got a clean bill of health.

Serviced by ToyodaTech (Toyota specilaists) so although I don't know what brand belt they used I would have thought they'd use something decent. The whining started a few weeks ago and persists even when the engine is warmed up.

Could be tensioner, 80-100k is about the life of the Aux belt. Get a torch and see if the rubber on the toothed side has started to crack

Seems perfectly, as good as new even I would say. But there is a bit of slack in the belt, so maybe it just needs tightening?

Local garage had a look today (free of charge) at the belt and tensioner using a stethoscope but couldn't diagnose the fault for sure. They offerred to replace the tensioner @£170 + 1h labour but couldn't guarantee that would solve the whining. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not, and no correlation with engine temperature or distance driven. Obviously this is outrageous for the part as I've seen them for £100 and less new but credit to them, they said I was more than welcome to source a second hand one to try.

SO I'm thinking of doing that - get another new belt and second hand tensioner off here or Ebay and replace the existing.

In the meantime, any risk of damage as I need to use the car and I don't think I'd get anything done till next week?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.