Had an accident today, after some advice

I don't see how it won't be a cat d? Lol

Cat d will be light damage that has been reported to insurance?

The cost of repair plus hire car costs would have to exceed the pre accident value of the car. Really can't see that being the case in this instance :)

Cat d is light damage that's been reported to insurance.

Cat c is a write off were the cost of repair is over 1/3 of the car value (or summin like that). These most of the time need a vic check to be put back on to the road and the insurance also gives you the option of buying it back from them for cheaper.

Cat b is write off never to be back on the road.

Cat x is stolen recovered.

Not sure of other ones.

Edit: after a google search it looks like I may be incorrect...? Lol. It will have to be noted somewhere though if my thoughts are actually incorrect.

Edited by oMIKEYo

Edit: after a google search it looks like I may be wrong...? Lol

If Chris's Ins. Co. were to rate the car a Cat D, they would make him an offer for the car minus his excess. Going on your figure of £3K, he would receive £2650. They would then sell the car to recoup some of their loss, which is where you have come in, in the past :)

not 100% sure but even if you don't claim for the damage on your own motor you will still have to stump up the excess on your policy if the other party involved makes a sucsesful claim against you.

if that is the case your no claims will be list anyway so might as well get it repaired profesionaly.

not 100% sure but even if you don't claim for the damage on your own motor you will still have to stump up the excess on your policy if the other party involved makes a sucsesful claim against you.

The excess is for my damages/car only, I dont pay anything towards the third parties claim. If I chose to make the repairs myself to my car, I would not pay an excess

I spoke to my insurance company and they confirmed what some of you said, told me making a claim for my own damages would not increase the premium even further that the original claim already will

I've decided to go through the insurance and pay the £350 excess, does a top notch job then and by the book, and less hassle for me! Plus I get a courtesy car (when renewal comes Kev, I will look into removing this if its high!)

Cheers for the advice anyway folks, but doing it myself would of meant £270 immediately in resprays (wanting to keep my current smoothed bumper) then I would have to source the wing etc, and brackets and so on

Edited by Chris CW

Cheers yeah :) fingers crossed, not sure if you've heard of them... NK Motor Group in Chilwell ( http://www.nkaccidentandrepaircentre.co.uk )? Thats who my insurance company recommended

I know theyve been around a long long time as I pass them on the way to work every day, cant find reviews on them which I guess is a good thing that no ones gone out of their way to complain/bad mouth them!

Edited by Chris CW

You'll still have to pay out for the other guys work, so bye bye £350 and NCB.

Put yourself in his driving seat, you come over a brow of a hill and see a queue of traffic, you pull up safely.

Lo and behold someone comes over the hill and clips the back of your car. What would you say and expect to hear?

Get your car fixed on your insurance, you've paid for that service.

I was always going to let the insurance handle the other cars damage, I don't want to get involved on that side of things! I don't want to fork out for unseen damage or a swift deal to up the price with a bodyshop - not worth the hassle

He didn't brake gently to a stop though, he braked hard too (so he said) but I know the facts when it comes to whos to blame

Edited by Chris CW

I was messaging AMS and he mentioned a metal bracket under the headlight - plus there's the plastic clip that goes between the wing and bumper. He doesn't have an exact unscratched/spoilt wing, which would mean a respray. The bumper I had smoothed so would prefer to keep it that way

I know I've bought the tiny plastic clips before, £7 from Toyota (old ones get brittle). Im just saying these are just the parts I know of amd have to get, and then there's fitting aswell and getting the car to a bodyshop (for the bumper at a minimum) without a courtesy car to use in the meantime

It was playing on my mind sorting the parts and fitting etc, but to be honest now I've gone through the insurance to get my car fixed I can just relax!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.