Had an accident today, after some advice

Almost a near miss today (!), coming up the brow of a hill I decided to swap lanes (bad timing looking back) after checking my blind spot etc multiple times I failed to notice the cars right in front of me slamming on their brakes just over the hill. Managed to swerve but still clipped the back of a fairly new Focus.

Heres the damage:

432125_10151368536940246_598425245_23145998_740992151_n.jpg

Just wondering about afew things

1. Ive noticed an odd gap between the light/wing and the bonnet, larger on the N/S (passenger) where the impact was compared to the O/S, anyone else got this? Or can measure the gaps?

Just curious that all the brackets etc will be twisted too, I undone the headlight and it didnt seem to move any close to the bonnet which I thought was weird

2. The accident will be classed as my fault, the third party (focus driver) will class as a claim against my insurance policy and losing my NCD right... So, if I claim for the damage on my car, will that further increase next years premium aswell? Also my excess is £350, do you think I should get a proper job done and go through my insurance or try and get the damage repaired myself? I had the same parts resprayed last year for £270

Edited by Chris CW

Dependant on the damage to the Focus and how co-operative the driver is.

I would say try to avoid making a claim as you'll pay for it over the next 5 years in premiums

However if you do have to make a claim i don't think the severity or cost of the claim makes a great difference, so might as well get yours repaired to top standard

Things are already being processed through the insurance for the Focus driver, I dont trust people these days to not do things by the book

When it came to my damages though, the insurance company said I can pay £350 excess and they fix it, or sort it myself. Again, wasnt sure if me doing my repairs through insurance would further increase my premiums

Sort it yourself, that just looks like a new bumper/wing. Which ams will have in stock :) The bracket for the headlight that goes behind the wing... i leave the bolt out on those, so i can take the headlights out quickly. Never had any issues :)

In fact, bumper looks ok - t cut?

The worrying thing was the gap, I removed the bolt behind the bumper for the headlight, and the bolt at the top of the headlight and it didnt make the gap smaller - dont know if thats how it is or if theres some serious damage hidden?

I wish it would just T-cut on the bumper :lol: All the paints cracked and flaking, it was a really head knock!

1 thing you should never do is admit liability...?

Over the top of a hill could of been deemed to be nobodys fault due to uncontrollable factors, eg how were you supposed to know cars were stopped on the over side of the verge?

But if you claim, i wouldnt get yours done too, they WILL charge you your whole £350 as an insurance garage costs far more than doing it yourself.

Get a new wing etc from ams and do it yourself! :)

Also - doing it yourself - your car wont be subject to being a cat d (or c depending on damage costs), and wont loose its value when it comes to sell it.

But in another note, glad your ok, metal can be replaced - you cant!

Edited by oMIKEYo

Yeah I'm ok, still can't believe it happened and I have a major headache right now but that's just the stress of it :lol:

Tempted towards replacing it all myself then

And I know how these rear accidents go, and with their 3 witnesses they wont want to put any doubt on it being their fault so can't see them being any help. We will see though!

1 thing you should never do is admit liability...?

Over the top of a hill could of been deemed to be nobodys fault due to uncontrollable factors, eg how were you supposed to know cars were stopped on the over side of the verge?

But if you claim, i wouldnt get yours done too, they WILL charge you your whole £350 as an insurance garage costs far more than doing it yourself.

Get a new wing etc from ams and do it yourself! :)

Also - doing it yourself - your car wont be subject to being a cat d (or c depending on damage costs), and wont loose its value when it comes to sell it.

But in another note, glad your ok, metal can be replaced - you cant!

And people wonder why insurance premiums are so high

If no one admitted liability then it would go down as a 50/50 claim, then both drivers would lose their NCD and excess and end up paying the increased premiums for the next 5 years

If it is pretty much clear cut, and by the sounds of it (and Chris's own admission) it was his fault anyway, so why cause unnecessary hassle claiming you were not at fault

And people wonder why insurance premiums are so high

If no one admitted liability then it would go down as a 50/50 claim, then both drivers would lose their NCD and excess and end up paying the increased premiums for the next 5 years

If it is pretty much clear cut, and by the sounds of it (and Chris's own admission) it was his fault anyway, so why cause unnecessary hassle claiming you were not at fault

All policy documents state to never admit liability :)

And in regards to fixing it. Definately do it yourself :thumbs:

And i wonder why an insurance company would want a claim to go 50/50, not so they could both charge both parties their excess and screw over both parties with increased premiums for the next 5 years.................. hmmmm i wonder :think::lol:

I will say though, don't accept liability at the road side straight after an accident as in the shock of an accident you aren't thinking clearly, but if after you have calmed down and thought about it, if it is indeed your fault then own up to your mistake

Chris, LET YOUR INS.Co. REPAIR YOUR 7!. Repairs almost always cost more to repair than you'd expect due to invisible damage. Also, it's unlikely to make any difference to your premium come renewal time. Sadly, the damage has already been done to your N.C.B.

One thing you might want to ask come renewal time, is to waive your option of a courtesy car. This MAY reduce your premium, and will definitely reduce the chances of a car being written off. The hire companies charge extortionate amounts, and it's time something was done about motorists being ripped off for this "privilege" with higher renewal costs every year.

£350 excess to repair

Say your cars value is £3000 pre crash (made up random figure). It'll be worth around £1500 on a cat c/d.

Is it worth loosing £350 + half the value + paying extra insurance. All for not buying a wing and a bumper etc from ams and doin it yourself :P

You'd get it in a garage to repair for around the £350 anyways. Just don't go through insurance with yours!

£350 excess to repair

Say your cars value is £3000 pre crash (made up random figure). It'll be worth around £1500 on a cat c/d.

But, Mikey, it isn't going to be a Cat D. If there was a danger of that happening, I wouldn't be strongly advising Chris to use something he's already paid for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.