Clamping Brake lines

Jim881

Never liked those line clamps, never will.

Seems retarded to purposefully do something to your lines that you spend the rest of the time trying to avoid doing....

Use it as an excuse to change all your fluid, a bottle is only going to be a couple of quid & you'll need some to top it up & bleed anyway.

Edited by Adex

I was thinking about changing it but heard its a bad idea to let the system run dry. The calipers are probably gonna be off for a couple of weeks.

I was gonna flush the system once i had fitted the calipers again.

So im i ok to just drain all the fluid?

Like this:

IMGP1091.jpg

This is how most people do it and I havent heard of any probs. An expert like freaky Parts or Lee from Se7en maybe able to advise a better method.

Edited by Serratia

Like this:

IMGP1091.jpg

This is how most people do it and I havent heard of any probs. An expert like freaky Parts or Lee from Se7en maybe able to advise a better method.

Ive seen that method before but im worried caus there on for a while im gonna caus permanent damage.

Regarding the nut and bolt method can you do that to standard hoses?

I did that (as seen in the pic) two years ago, and Ive passed two MOT brake test with no probs. However, who knows if I may have damaged them inside. This is how a mechanic friend showed me to do it years ago. Im getting braided lines soon, and Ive heard you cant clamp those, so once they are fitted I'd hate to replace a caliper as how to you clamp them then?

.Regarding the nut and bolt method can you do that to standard hoses?

Yep, all you're doing is blocking the banjo bolt to stop moisture/dirt from getting in & damaging the insides of the pipes. :thumbs:

Im getting braided lines soon, and Ive heard you cant clamp those, so once they are fitted I'd hate to replace a caliper as how to you clamp them then?

The old fasioned way, by not clamping them! :D

A full system bleed doesn't take long anyway, & it's a small price to pay for the extra 'feel' braided hoses give you.

Yeah but Ive heard horror stories of people getting air in their ABS systems and such like and really struggling to get the peddle firmed up no matter how many bleeds they do...always worries me bleeding brakes. I go through shed loads of Dot 4 when bleeding just to make sure all the air is out.

Just drain the whole fluid and replace once you fit your calipers on, i changed the calipers on my girlfriends car the other week drained the fluid and then fitted the new calipers with braided lines and refilled and bled the system and all is fine :)

Don't clamp your hoses, it;s the best way going to make them fall apart and fail.

Use the free and safe option - old tub under the banjo to catch the spill, you're only looking at a 100ml or so, hardly a major leak!

Is that a 100ml total or per caliper? So the brake system acutally needs you to press the brake pedal to drain the system? I thought it would just drain itself naturally through gravity.

Here is a tip. Put cling film over the top of the reservoir and then screw the cap on. As long as its a complete seal you loose virtually no fluid :thumbs:

Im liking this option mate sounds very cheap :)

But you'll still need to replace some fluid & bleed your system.

The only difference is how big a bottle of fluid you get.

A couple of quid difference at most.

Unless I'm certain that it's new(ish) fluid, I'd still recommend using caliper refurbishment as an excuse to change it all.

If as you say, you'll be leaving the calipers off for a while, then the fluid will be exposed to moisture in the air anyway, cling film or not. Perhaps this method is best for quick caliper repair jobs.

As the fluid will have prolonged exposure to air, trying to save money now could lead to poor brake performance later.

Then you'll need to change it all anyway.

Twice as much work.

Edited by Adex

As Adex has mentioned you will still need to bleed the brakes. Without fail.

I would normally replace the fluid if its not been done for a while tbh. I risked it once and had complete break faliure at about 70 on the M27. Frantically pumped the brakes and got them back. Not worth not doing properly fella :thumbs:

Well my plan is now. Remove all the calipers. With the cling film method as mentioned from waller for the brake lines. Then once there refurbished fit them all back on and flush the brake fluid through until it clear.

Sound like a plan guys?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.