What to do....

TMOUSSE

Just got back after going to pick my car up from the garage, after sending it off for wheel alignment only to receive some bad news.

They said they couldn't carry out the work because nearly every bolt on the rear has seized and won't budge, and didn't dare try too hard on them for fear of shearing/rounding any of them off.

Apparently rust has set in on most of the parts at the back there and will need to be cut off and replaced,

my mate works there so is offering parts at cost and labour at staff rates.

parts alone- assuming it's not just the bolts but everything else that needs replacing have been quoted as £717.40 ex vat!!! :o so all in with labour etc could be anything up to £1400 I guess.

(apologies for being vague with part names but I'm not the most mechanically minded of people :rolleyes: )

£1400 is almost the value of the car itself!

Of course there is a chance it could just mean having the bolts cut off and new ones put in their place and the other more expensive parts are fine in which case going to cost something like £90 ex vat, all in £150-£200

I dunno what do you reckon?

:(

Sounds like you own a 40 year old car with that diagnosis! Did they give you a break down on which parts are rusted, because it all sounds a bit far fetched to me buddy

Ive been given a sheet with a picture of all of the components broken down in their set up and part numbers next to them with the price of that part (at cost) then the parts that they can see that need replacing ie bolts etc have been highlighted.

I know it sounds far fetched but I trust my mate not to screw me over, he is the dealership manager an all so not following orders.

Like I said the £1400 is a worst case scenario but do I run the risk? As if they start to do the work they can't really stop if it does start adding up, as they will have a car stuck on their ramps.

Nothing's ever seized when you have an oxyacetylene torch! :twisted:

:lol:

Spray a bit of WD40 on it! :P

Ha I swear by that stuff most of the time but don't think it's gonna solve this one :)

your letting a dealer do it?

dosnt matter if he's your mate or not, you need to find a good independent machanic.

and like the comments before, soak them with wd40 or another penetrating fluid for a few days or so.

failing that, oxy acetylene torch will move them.

and if you do need to cut any bits off, get second hand replacements.

that is a rip off mate.

Is the Gen 7 an offset cam/bolt type assembly like the GT4 ? These are renownded for seizing.

Spray all bolts / nuts / joints in question with WD40 regularly for a week then try again. If still no joy, try heating with a blowtorch (oxy can be a bit OTT unless you're careful) and try again.

I'd be very surprised if they can't get the bolts out without damaging arms etc. Cut the heads / nuts to remove parts from car and then bang through with an air hammer or SDS drill set for hammer only.

Another alternative is to get a complete rear subframe with suspension from a car being broken so you gan soak joints and get them undone at your leisure then swap over as necessary.

• Like 1

sorry but your been told porkies, i have replaced every nut bolt washer under the car including the camber bolts along with bushes and everything else, for all the bolts that hold everything together they cost me £360 from Mr T's so the £700 you were quoted just for doing the geo is way off.

if you need any part numbers or codes let me know i have every receipt in a file.

Slugsters tip of the day ....

Plain diesel is a magic penetrating oil, it gets in there like a good un! If you want a fancy brew add a wee bit of CV grease to diesel and shake well for added graphite. Sprayed or brushed on it will get into the crud and loosen it.

Also ... Whenever I remove a nut or bolt it is NEVER replaced without a good smear of copperslip. You never know when it may have to come out again. :D

Thanks for all the input guys and girls, will try soaking the bits for a while and see what happens also ams has sent me a pm regarding a replacement subframe which was kind.

The £700 is if everything needs replacing, if it's just nuts and bolts then it's £150-200, I'll take it somewhere else to get a secondary opinion aswell.

Edited by TMOUSSE

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.