Changing wheels front and back

JnrGT

Hi,

I was thinking of swopping my rear wheels with the fronts as They have more or less full tread and the fronts are around half worn (still plenty of tread).

Reason being is to make the set of tyres last longer through equal wear and so I have maximum grip from the tyres I have with this weather.

Is it ok to do this or should I take it to a garage so the wheels can be alligned/balanced?

Cheers

There's no need for any balancing or alignment, but my advice is to leave the tyres with the most tread on the rear. When the fronts get to around 3mm, buy a pair of new tyres and then have the wheels swapped back to front.

Edited by Kev 16v

I swapped my backs onto the front recently, but only because I was having real trouble getting one of the fronts balanced properly (bit out of shape).

It's not as desperate to have the rears as accurately balanced as the fronts, see.

Interesting points.

The changing 4 tyres at once doesnt phase me as I like to try different tyres and I only like having all tyres on a car the same.

Although, if Michelin suggest have more grip at the back I'll be happy enough to keep it that way, save me the hassle in this cold nights, usually about 7 before Iam home anyway.

Cheers!

I think the common school of thought is to have the best grip at the rear as most people don't know how to deal with a rear end slide. Having the front end slide, most times unless you are going at silly speeds can usually be controlled by just lifting off the throttle.

I tend to keep the best tyres on the rear and when the fronts need replacing, move the rears to the front and put the new ones on the back again. Generally this means you're only replacing 2 tyres at one time as the fronts tend to wear faster than the rears.

I think the common school of thought is to have the best grip at the rear as most people don't know how to deal with a rear end slide. Having the front end slide, most times unless you are going at silly speeds can usually be controlled by just lifting off the throttle.

I tend to keep the best tyres on the rear and when the fronts need replacing, move the rears to the front and put the new ones on the back again. Generally this means you're only replacing 2 tyres at one time as the fronts tend to wear faster than the rears.

Ditto

I used to work for ATS and as such was put through a tyre exam :hysterical: With Michelin

They state the best 2 tyres should be fitted to the rear of the vehicle to minimise the risk of a blow out,

reason being it is easier to control your car with a blow out on the front as you can force the steering in the direction you want.

The rear is more or less uncontrolable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.