Tyres

annibee

Hi

Whats good tyre-wise? I'll be honest and say I'm a complete noob when it comes to tyres and since I'm going to buy some Alloys today I need to know what tyres I should be looking to get for best handling.

I'm thinking of going to a 17" Alloy (currently on 16's).

I dont even know if I should think about getting winter tyres for now and then get other tyres next year :shrug:

What sort of names are good and is it worth getting winter tyres? and just to note funds are limited so a mid range tyre thats no more than £80 each please

Thanks! any and all help appreciated :thumbs:

Also sorry if this has been posted a few times before? I had a look through and couldnt see anything in particular

hey i have had toyo proxies t1r and there a good tyre i have also had pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO winter tyres and they were the worse tyre i have ever had on a car, good in dry least bit of damp and would let go. hope this helps a bit,go on camskills for tyres there nice and cheap.

Toyo t1r are great but won't last for very long I've heard but I've had them for a year and they are going strong. Falken 452 are also good

Winter tyres are good and ideal but only if your gonna use the car often in winter it's worth it I think.

I've just put 4 kumho ecsta ku39's on mine & they're great, went for the larger 215 45 size & won't go back to 205. Fill the arches better, more comfortable, better rim protection & lower road noise. Just under £250 delivered from TyreDrive.

Hi . . just adding my bit to this . . probably get shot to bits . . but here goes . . . Goodyear eagle f1 if you can afford them or Uniroyale rain sport 2 (not quite as good as the Goodyears but they're not so far behind)

I agree with maizy :thumbs:

I had a set of F1's on my 16's (205/50/16), I found them a great tyre with good wear rates, grip and handling. I've recently gone up to 17's and have had another set (215/40/17) fitted, I'd recommend them to anyone.

wheels-8.jpg

any ideas where from and costs Maizey?

Cheers Jo3 that sounds good ill have a nosy at that website thanks.

I've just put 4 kumho ecsta ku39's on mine & they're great, went for the larger 215 45 size & won't go back to 205. Fill the arches better, more comfortable, better rim protection & lower road noise. Just under £250 delivered from TyreDrive.

is it their high performance tyres? seen a set of alloys that'll do me fine so do you know if I request with high performance tyres what it comes with? ETA- wrong website confused myself completely with all the different tabs open lol!

Edited by annibee

Hi again, i think you'll just have to troll the websites for them . . .but they're not cheap I'm afraid however times are tight so you might be able to do a deal, a quick flutter of the eyelashes will always help :D . . . . . works for me!! :blush: 'course there's always those 4 in the back of Slugster's G7 :lol:

You not feeling them a bit too soft mate? My car rolls like a fat bitch with them. Grip wise and noise is great, but they're way to rolly polly imo.

I'm not sure if winter tyre is really ideal since we don't have much winter here anyway... Maybe an all weather tyre will be good enough to do the job... To be honest my current tyre is crap... Sunny tyres, but I if you drive it within limits it's ok... The past 2 winters with worse snow. I managed to always get from A to B all the time with no issue... It's due for a change now though as it's done 2yrs but still plenty of thread... Will change my fronts with goodyear f1 then will save a bit for the rears soon... I also heard that winter tyres can be scary when wet...

I have Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres on my saloon and very happy with them; got them at a good price from a French (think that winter tyres are compulsory over there so they may be cheaper cos they sell more) online outfit called pneus, who have fitting network in the UK. Winter tyres will wear really fast in warmer temperatures so you will need to take them off around March; I keep 2 sets of wheels to save hassle.

You not feeling them a bit too soft mate? My car rolls like a fat bitch with them. Grip wise and noise is great, but they're way to rolly polly imo.

I never really get chance to cane it into corners tbh mate, the roads around here are shite so they'll do for me! Was only really commenting on the comfort benefits of 215's over 205's. Had Toyo T1r's on when I fiirst got her & tbh, the way I drive, don't really notice any difference. What did you have on before?

Edited by J03

I've had ContiSports on the back and some cheap Barums, then T1Rs then Parada Spec 2s on the front. The Kumhos are far superior to the T1Rs imo, they never felt grippy, especially in the wet and the wear was crap, but the sidewall on the KU39s are just too soft for me. And it's pretty drastic too, I'm surprised you haven't noticed, at normal speeds I noticed it straight away and when I tried to stay with an Impreza I thought I was gonna roll over lol.

How about fitting winter tyres to the 16's and get decent rubber on the 17's for summer?

you are far too sensible at times Andy lol

Proxes T1R get my vote every time , yes wear rate isnt great but the grip in wet and dry is very confidence inspiring

I have Falken ZE912s on and they seem to be pretty good in any conditions. Had em on last year in snow and they got me out of the Sh*t.

I pulled into a side road to let an ambulance past and it was about 6inch deep snow :doh: But I managed to get out of that with em on. the correct size for 17s on a gen 7 is 205 45 R17.

online outfit called pneus,

I read that very wrong at first :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

How about fitting winter tyres to the 16's and get decent rubber on the 17's for summer?

Yeah would be a better option but my stripped alloys wont survive the winter :laugh2:

I'm still trying to decide cant even make my mind up on 16's or 17's will be lowering the car and a little worried about ride comfort :shrug:

too many bloody decisions........my head hurts :brickwall:

I have Falken ZE912s on and they seem to be pretty good in any conditions. Had em on last year in snow and they got me out of the Sh*t.

I pulled into a side road to let an ambulance past and it was about 6inch deep snow :doh: But I managed to get out of that with em on. the correct size for 17s on a gen 7 is 205 45 R17.

Glad to hear this as i've just put 4 ZE912's on mine.

Do you have any experience with other tyres to compare against? I think the sidewalls on these are like putty (super soft! :( )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.