Alloy refurb.

planc

Looks pretty good mate - are you going to add lacquer?

Tough one mate, I have looked this up on the web and people report the lacquer reacts with Hammerite, But I quite like the matt look.

Nice, were these the same ones you had fitted at the Brickworks meet, if so you have done an amazing job

No mate but these were as bad and one was worse, the usual Japanese alloy syndrone.

Genuinely amazing for roller work! We all love mods for cheap! :thumbs:

I reckon keep the matt look & if the finish doesn't last then just do em again.

You're looking at a good few re-do's before you come close to the cost of getting them professionally re-furbished any way so why not?

I'm refurbing mine now for winter use and had the same thought - well impressed with how yours has come out! How many coats did you do?

I started sanding my first wheel down tonight, so corroded it took 3 hours to get it smooth front and back and still not 100% happy with it!

Do you think if you'd used hammerite satin it would be glossier? I can't really see the difference from the tiny example on the tins...

Should be 2-3 coats, I painted all 4 wheels in 15 minutes per coat but left them at least over night sometimes over the weekend before re-aplying.

My other set will be done the same but I might try body paint then spray lacquer.

Post a pic up of your prepped wheel and I will give you an idea if it will cover.

what a cracking job & for very little ££ I suspect

did you take any pictures/ video of the before & during of the refurb ? It would have made a good sticky I think ..

it looks like it could be a doable job for some winter wheels as my standards are just sitting around doing nothing & have Good tyres on may give it a go as the long term weather forcast is anything to go by Forecasters say its going to be worst Winter on record... I do hope its not true

I will be totaly honest I was a little lazy with the preperation and it showed so I gave them a light rub down with 1200 grit and started again.

Now I'm not saying its a perfect job but these are intended for winter use so the ones I remove can be done a little better and I think I will roll again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.