Snow chains... Any one use them

CW Racing

Hi... As the cold is descending I thought about not ending up stuck like last year and making a few provisions for the 2 weeks of snow we are likely to have.

So. I bought new tyres in the summer and cannot afford to go and stick winter tyres on my car now.

Snow chains seem the next sensible option.

Questions,

Can you fit them and leave them on for the whole journey even if the road is clear in places?

Will this ruin your tyres if they are run on no snow?

How fast can you drive on them?

Are they only just to get you out the pooh?

Any other info would be great. Thanks

Been looking into this myself recently, these "snow socks" are starting to become more popular & seem to get good reviews. I don't commute to work but when it snows in the village where I live it's an absolute nightmare getting out. Took me 20mins to travel 75yards last year, the road is like a barrel profile & you just slide into the kerb.

Only to be used when you're stuck really & they say whip them off once you hit a gritted road. 30mph is the max you can run on them & although they're made of a kevlar material I can't imagine them lasting too long at 30mph. For £40/50 I reckon it's worth having a set in the boot just in case.

Edited by J03

I got a set of snow chains last year, just in time for the snow to melt. But there pretty tough, a friend of mine has some and uses them all the time in winter as he lives miles from civilisation in cumbria. On thick snow can easily do 30mph and dohnuts are great fun with them lol, we did snap part of one last year tho dohnutting in a carpark and hitting the concrete underneath, took the bolt cutters to it after to get the broken part off and it broke the bolt cutters before cutting the chain. i have them to get me out if i get stuck only

I got a set of snow chains last year, just in time for the snow to melt. But there pretty tough, a friend of mine has some and uses them all the time in winter as he lives miles from civilisation in cumbria. On thick snow can easily do 30mph and dohnuts are great fun with them lol, we did snap part of one last year tho dohnutting in a carpark and hitting the concrete underneath, took the bolt cutters to it after to get the broken part off and it broke the bolt cutters before cutting the chain. i have them to get me out if i get stuck only

So it's you bloody plonkers who tear all the roads up over winter :lol:!

If you do want snow tyres, Verdistein Snowtrac 3s are awesome and drive well when there is no snow.

In the UK snow chains armt really a good idea as when there is no snow they can be damaging to the car and the road. Snow socks are OK to get you out of a hole, but last about 2 mins.

All I did last year was carry a shovel and a bag of sharp sand in the boot....When its that bad its an excuse to have a day off work :-)

I have snow socks on my astra van sportive. It's not the greatest vehicle in the snow as it's 200bhp with tons of torque plus the back end is heavy with kit.

The snow socks were great last year when I got stuck on a country lane in Bristol in 2ft of snow. Not great on long journeys as they are limited to 10 mph. They are made of Kevlar so as soon as they see gravel or cleared road they will slowly disintegrate. They won't wreck your alloys though.

Tbh I would only recommend them as a last resort. If it's that bad I would drive. Highly recommend them though :)

Hope it helps!

Sorry meant wouldn't drive ;) damned iPhone!

Chains are good if you are stuck or in heavy snow but like people say as soon as you hit a clearing you need to take them off.

I bought a couple of snow tyres for my 15"'s on my daily drive, worked out around £60 per tyre, just for the fronts to get me out the shit.

snow tyres is the way forward. and will last a hell of a lot longer, so if kept safe during the summer months they will last 2-3 years easy.

using them is law in Germany from late October till march.

when i phoned my insurance comp and asked if it would add to my premiums, no it won't coz it's a safety feature. so happy with that!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.