Lean Fuel! Any ideas other than air leak any one?

LeeW

Hey all, garage says I have lean fuel. So before I start pulling the pipes apart and checking inlet manifold/throttle body gaskets etc I wondered if there was anything else that can cause it? I've checked and cleaned the maf and exhaust sensor btw.

Any info much appreciated :)

Lee

how be this "garage" man getting his ideas???? How lean is lean? What be the colour of your plugs; should be light biscuity brown if good, but more whitish or even glazed if lean (old Haynes repair manuals for all cars used to have a series of pictures which showed the trend). What be the colour of yee tail pipe; should be black or mid-grey if normal, or lighter grey if lean, but not as indicative as ye plugs. These old "garage" men can be villains when the find a young lad like you.

I be a young lad too once and they did me good and proper. Car was overheating, so they just took the thermostat out and said they'd fixed it. That be one Mr Nudd back in 1976 - I ain't forgotten or forgiven him. I didn't realise what had gone on for quite a while, until I too had become an old (automotive) seadog. Damn their black hearts to hell! :unsure:

Edited by bazz54

checked the sparks and they are normal colour. Exhaust is normal too. the garage just plugged it in and that'd the only fault it came up with. He said 9 times out of 10 its a air leak.

He had a listen around and thinks it might be coming from the throttle body/or manifold.

I have a video on here somewhere to which when you throttle up there is a delay in the revs. when you blip the throttle it sounds like its sucking in air for a split second and then revs. When I'm driving and thrash her a little it feels like your gently touching the brakes ever few seconds as it goes up the rev range.

I've got some olds bits of pipe from another car somewhere so thought I would try replacing one pipe at a time to see if I find anything first off.

cheers for the replies all :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.