How hot should the brakes get?

bRinkz

So in the last year i've refurbed both my front calipers with new seals and pistons. Today after a 20 mile drive on the motorway I noticed there was a fair bit of heat coming off them and the alloys were hot. I could just about touch the alloy on the drivers side (this was refurbed 4 month ago) and the passenger side was a bit cooler but still warm. So uneven heat tells me one is sticking more than the other, but why after I've done them?!?!

Now when I took them off I did clamp the flexi hoses with a grip - could they have been damaged and would this affect things?

Any help appreciated.

Hot wheels certainly indicates sticking calipers - heat from the brakes gets transferred through the hub and into the wheel. Your wheels shouldn't be hot to the touch at all.

Definitely worth taking them off again and checking that they're lubed up in the right places and moving freely.

Angus

Yeah, deffo sticking caliper and it's the one that had the most recent service - although I can't remember if I smoothed down the edges just inside the dust seal where the piston passes over, mmmmm :brickwall:

Only got short journeys to make this week, but it's noticeably warmer than the other side.

Am gonna change the flexi lines too just incase me clamping them with a mole grip has damaged owt!!!!

Hot wheels certainly indicates sticking calipers - heat from the brakes gets transferred through the hub and into the wheel. Your wheels shouldn't be hot to the touch at all.

Definitely worth taking them off again and checking that they're lubed up in the right places and moving freely.

Angus

What he says! Dorris

use copper grease mate

NO!

Use Red Rubber (lithium Glycol) Grease, you have no way of knowing what the formulation of any other grease is and whether it'll kill the rubber.

If you don'thave any then clean brake fluid will do for the piston seals. Under no circumstances use any other kind of oil or grease on pistons themselves, whilst a split boot is not ideal the sliders aren't anywehre near as important as the pistons.

Edited by Alan Clogwyn

Didn't use any grease on the sliders - they're the bolts that hold the caliper on to the holder on the fronts. As for the piston and seals, I just cleaned everything with brake cleaner and then lubed up with clean brake fluid. Am thinking that I didn't smooth down the edges enough, but will also get some of this red rubber grease for the sliders. Will let you know after Saturday....

think yourself luck ive got one red hot drum and one cold one so it looks like im dismanteling my back end tomorrow :( ive just done the bloody front ones !!!!!!!! :( hey ho the joys of owning a car :) its free to work on the car meself :)

They're like that fecking annoying spot on your arse aren't they, slowly irritates you more and more until they swell to become a big infected pain that gets in the way of normal day-to-day living. And no matter how you get rid of it you know it'll come back again....

They're like that fecking annoying spot on your arse aren't they, slowly irritates you more and more until they swell to become a big infected pain that gets in the way of normal day-to-day living. And no matter how you get rid of it you know it'll come back again....

agree but it also costs more in fuel with the pads sticking on it drags and you can see the fuel gauge going down !!!! :(

Didn't use any grease on the sliders ...

That won't have helped, then. I've used all sorts of grease over the years and never had trouble with rubber geting eaten by any type. Copper grease seems to not work so well in the sliders anyway, though - it's not slimy enough and always seems to end up turning into solid lumpiness. Getting a jammed sliding pin with old copper grease in it is loads of fun.

I usually use silicon grease now, and it works fine for me. I do clean it all out and replace every few months, though.

Angus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.