can low gear box oil cause gear crunch!

LeeW

Christ... Been going on about my clutch and gear box on here for ages now in different topics but trying to simplify the question. Car crunches in reverse and hard to get into first and All gears are a little notchy after having the clutch replaced! As in cover, clutch plate and thrush bearing.

Put the gears into reverse, foot down on clutch and my old man can rock the car back and forth with just his finger. The same for all gears so pretty sure the clutch isn't nipping.

thought I would check the gear box oil and I couldn't even get the oil filler nut undone. Also looks like there is oil at the drain plug. Now if I'm correct, that's a sure sign of the oil not/never being topped up after either a leak or having been drained?

Question is, can the low oil cause the crunch as I know it can cause notchy gear change? The car changed gear lovely before I had the clutch done.

Cheers for reading.

Lee

It's not a hard job to replace mate so don't worry. I did mine just pulled up onto the pavement, so not completely necessary to jack the car if you don't have access to one. Whip the passenger side plastics off & you'll need a 24mm socket, a syphon pump, a cheap 400/500mm breaker bar will also come in handy to undo the fill & drain plugs ;) .....

This is for the 190 gearbox but gives you an idea, although if i remember correctly the fill plug maybe positioned differently on a 140??

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121104

Syphon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-5010559436507-43650-Syphon-Pump/dp/B0001K9UCS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311247779&sr=8-3

I mentioned in your first post they mmay have put the wrong grade oil or may have forgot to put any in at all as this would give the same syptoms as you describe, they would have to pull the drive shafts out to replace the clutch so the oil would drain out.

As you have pointed out the filler is seized so they may have struggled and just left it.

On a gen7 box there is two plugs you can fill from if you must, there is a 24mm hex plug and a 17mm plug.

Cheers jo3 and planc, I had a look and lo and behold, I stupidly was looking at the wrong engine and was trying to un do the wrong nut!!! Was about to do it this afternoon and the heavens opened up :angry:

Got myself some correct oil now so I'll get on it after work tomorrow and see how she runs.

The garage is adamant its a faulty clutch I brought. They have even ordered me a new one!

Cheers again lads, relly is a big help.

Dmc, the code for the gear box oil is - Api gl-4 or gl-5. Sae75w-90. Halfords and b&q sell the stuff but people on here may well know better oils out there :)

Edited by LeeW

Really? My manual said 1.9. Not sure about the fully synthetic.

According to the Millers website both the 1zz and 2zz take 2.3 Ltr of transmission fluid

I'm sure that my 140 takes less than 2 litres for a refil. I personally believe that the single biggest reason for using fully synthetics is their superior flow when really cold. It all goes back to the old business of more wear occurring during the first 10 minutes when cold than the next 3 hours on the motorway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.