Clutch pedal soft at bottom of travel PLEASE HELP!

LeeW

Hi all.

Recently had a new clutch kit fitted at a local garage and since they have done it, I get a crunch and grinding noise when going into reverse and also its difficult to get into first gear ( I've already started a similar thread).

I have noticed that when I press the clutch to the floor, most of the way down seems fine but when I get about an inch or so from the floor the pedal becomes soft. I have rebled the clutch a number of times as did the garage so there is definitely no air in the line.

Has any one got any suggestions to what the problem may be.

Cheers

Lee

sounds like the clutch is not clearing fully. if the system is devoid of air then it could be the clutch cover at fault, but you do need to check that your slave cylinder is getting full travel when you depress the clutch pedal and the seals are not sucking air back in when the clutch is released .its worth pulling the rubber boot back on the slave cylinder and having a look to see if there is any evidence of dampness /brake fluid .but as arizona has already said you should just refer it back to the garage telling them that the clutch is not clearing

I took it back there to day. They checked all the linkages and pipes, spent about two hours on it! They said that everything seems normal. So the explanation was the clutch must be faulty. the clutch pedal feeling soft once getting near the floor was what confused me. I was wondering the same about slave cylinder. Is there any info on how far it should move as mine does move a fair bit. Problem is it might have had the problem for a while as the clutch was well gone and I'm guessing would need less pressure to open it than a new one. So if the slave was leaking slightly would that be enough to allow the clutch to catch?

Either way, cheers Tctech, its given me something else to look at. Really hope its not the clutch :/

If there was air in there, it would feel soft to begin with, then firmer as you go further down, as the air gets compressed. Did they replace both the clutch plate and the pressure plate? You don't have to replace the pressure plate if its ok but it is always a good idea given the huge amount of work involved in going back in a second time if it turns out to be faulty. A clutch should never feel softer at the bottom so this suggestion that "they all feel like that" is not right.

Cheers bazz54

I brought the whole kit, clutch plate, pressure plate and thrush bearing. So from what i know of it should all e new.

I'll have a look at the slave cylinder and see if the seals have gone. Is there any where that you can get information on the travel of the slave cylinder? My manual doesn't really mention about it :/

Cheers again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.