Classic car suggestions?

My workmate is looking to buy a classic weekend car.

Her original idea was a Morris Minor Convertible. I think that's a bad idea!!!

Needs to be very retro, ideally cream paintwork with red canvas :D

I was thinking along the MG / Triumph line of thought.... Budget around £3k - £7k

imho old British classics were actually crap when they were new , and havent got better with age , in saying that going down the mg route could be worth while as there is such a large following thats you can actually build your very own BRAND new mgb roadster for about 25k so unlike most classics there is a massive amount of spares , and ungraded parts (that work) so life would be easier that some obscure oldie

I had 2 Tr7's a few years ago. A 2l convertible and a 3.5 v8 tin top. The v8 was awesome. always loved the shape, prob why i've got a gen 5 now!

For that budget though its Tr6 all the way for me.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C237463

Just love the look of these :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190552569069&clk_rvr_id=246220919155

Well its cream and red :)

If it's going to be a weekend/2nd car tell her to go for something pre 1973..free road tax :) ....classic cars can also be insured for next to nothing.

Edited by deanbean

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C237463

Just love the look of these :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190552569069&clk_rvr_id=246220919155

Well its cream and red :)

If it's going to be a weekend/2nd car tell her to go for something pre 1973..free road tax :) ....classic cars can also be insured for next to nothing.

:D

Niiice, she loves the Singer Gazelle

3-7 grand is the issue here

ok most of the old cars were a steaming pile of shit , they broke down way too offen and rotted like hell , this was back when they were new so time means they have gotten worse , now the average run about was just that and the special car held a certain something be it looks or pace or comfort , its these sorts of car which are worth having

then theres the money issue , the sort of car you get for 3 grand is most likely a pile of trouble , 7 grand spent on a boring staid car will however more than likely be half decent , only issue is it will be something tame and lack lustre , buying something thats got heart and soul for 7 grand welllll your not going to get much , its the sort of money that buys something that needs tlc around the edges

you also need to think about the type and style of car , are you talking pre-war morris 8 or post war metropolitan nash ( good cars , its a parts bin special ) , are you after a roof so say a gt6 or no roof at all jenson healey , something exotic so say a morgan or isetta or something boring as sin so a bloody moggie minor ,,, you need to work out the era and then throw it open to debate really before anything else

Triumph Spitfire or GT6 ftw

Used to have a spitfire,rattly rusty thing it was,but it never let me down and i loved it to bits.....thats the thing with classic cars,common sense tends to go out the window,you heart rules your head...it's just a brilliant feeling driving around in something thats survived all those years,the smells,the primitive brakes...its all part of owning a classic...as long as they keep going you'll always have a smile on your face.

princess

they were feckin awful , really really bad , worst cars ever along with the landcrab , the all-agro , the marina and ital the .........

spitfires ?

i can tell you if you jack up the front and the back sticking it on axle stands , chop off the sills they bend in the middle :D oops

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.